What is up with this weather here in Nebraska!? Just a few days ago it was so warm it got to 80 degrees in our apartment (we even turned the AC on for a bit) and then the next day the high was in the 30’s and it snowed. CRAZY! I just hope it’s warm and sunny for Easter!
Speaking of Easter, here are some festive carrot cupcakes that are absolutely divine (just as good as my White Chocolate Easter Egg Cupcakes)! It’s incredibly moist and the frosting is as smooth as silk. Like a little piece of heaven in your mouth.
I wanted to do something a bit different but not too complicated. I saw those beautiful curled carrots on Pinterest and was about to make those until I saw it takes over an hour. For another time! So I came up with caramel and pecans (kind of a “turtle” carrot cake minus chocolate). I already had some leftover caramel topping sauce on hand as well as the pecans in my freezer (great way to store nuts if you buy in bulk and don’t plan on eating them all very fast).
The drizzling and sprinkling takes all of 1 minute! Fast, delicious, beautiful, AND it helps cover up any mistakes you might have made while piping the frosting on. Win, win, win, WIN!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, well-drained
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup caramel topping
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well and add oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix well. Stir in carrots, pineapple, raisins, and nuts until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full with batter.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- With an electric mixer (hand or standing), cream butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt together starting at a slow speed (takes about 2 minutes to come together). Continue to cream for a couple minutes until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese 2 ounces at a time and beat 2 more minutes (scrape down as needed).
- Place frosting tip (2D or 1M) in a piping bag and fill with frosting. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes starting at the outside of the cupcake and work you way in as you circle up.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the caramel over the tops of the frosted cupcakes. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
Recipe Source: Adapted from RaeJean Eisenhauer (more pineapple, finer carrots, more nuts and raisins, toppings, Garnish & Glaze original frosting recipe…)