Have you ever seen those shirts that say “I run so I can EAT more”? Well I do happen to enjoy running and working out but
having getting to eat more to have enough energy is a definite plus!
To compensate for my over indulgence of holiday treats I try to keep it light with my meals like this light and refreshing Tilapia with Mango Salsa.
This was seriously amazing! The light and flaky cumin and lime flavored fish with a slightly sweet fresh mango salsa is an absolute perfect pair!
And it takes less than 30 minutes! YES! Just get the rice cooking, chop up all your ingredients, throw together the salsa, season the fish and broil it, slap it all on a plate, and enjoy!
And if you’re interested in the nutrition facts, below is the nutrition label for a serving of this meal (1/4 of the recipe). My brother requested that I start including it since he is trying to lose weight and count calories (he has lost 10 pounds in less than 2 months!)
I’m diggin this triangle diagram that gives you a visual of the macro-nutrient (energy/calorie yielding nutrients-carbohydrates, fats, protein) distribution in the meal. You can plainly see that it is low in fat and high in protein and carbs- what a great meal! And holy moly look at that 42 grams of protein! Fish is packed full of protein and those beans contribute a few grams too. AND you get a good amount a fiber from the beans and veggies (get even more fiber by swapping out the white rice for brown!). Check out the vitamin C too (108%)! Thank you mango, lime, and bell pepper!
This meal is very low in calorie because of the lean fish and there is hardly any added fat (each gram of fat= 9 calories) so feel free to add more calories to the meal by eating any leftover salsa with some tortilla chips, serve it with some rolls, a side salad,… or just save your calories for dessert like I do!
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 (6 ounce) tilapia fillets
- Zest from 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Prepare rice according to directions on package.
- Place all salsa ingredients together in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Serve over tilapia or eat with chips.
- Preheat oven to broil (500 degrees F).
- In a small dish, combine zest, juice, oil, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Rub over both sides of fillets and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a foil lined baking sheet or lightly greased broiler pan. Broil for 7-8 minutes or until the fish flakes with a fork.
- Serve over rice and top with Mango Salsa.
Recipe Source: Inspired by a few recipes in Cooking Light Complete Cookbook: A Fresh New Way to Cook