Last night was a bit scary. Tornado sirens went off so we scurried to the basement of our complex (our third floor apartment isn’t the best shelter for such a storm). We stayed down in the laundry room for a couple of hours and got to know a few of our neighbors. I brought the diaper bag for Carly to have some toys to play with and she had a great time playing and jabbering. I love having such a cheerful baby who can lift anyone’s spirit and take one’s mind off stressful things.We only got hit with was some heavy rain, large gusts of wind, bright lightning, and monstrous thunder booms. All is well! Let’s talk about this yummy dish!
This recipe was inspired by a salmon salad that Nick ordered when we dined at a restaurant called Crave. Now, it’s a bit shocking that my husband ordered a salad (he is all about meat) but he really wanted fish and all the fish entrees were out of our price range (the life of a med school student) so he ended up with the salmon salad which he really liked. I changed quite a few things but some of the things I kept that Nick absolutely loved were the goat cheese and candied walnuts… and of course the salmon (but different seasonings).
I’m so glad I can eat yummy fish even though I don’t live anywhere near the ocean. Aren’t we just so lucky to be able to have such a variety of foods and eat pretty much whatever we want no matter where we live or what time of the year it is!? This is such a perfect summer salad. Love the combo of the blackened salmon with the refreshing Avocado Ranch Dressing and a bit of crunch and sweetness added by the candied walnuts. Mmmm… I want to make this again real soon.
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup buttermilk*
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Drizzle over salmon salad (recipe below).
Recipe Source: Adapted from Handle the Heat
- 4 (4 ounce) salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 8 cups spring mix salad or baby spinach
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup candied walnuts
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Avocado Ranch Dressing (recipe above)
- In a small dish, mix salmon spices together. Coat both sides of each filet with the blackening spice mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add salmon and cook for 3-5 minutes per side (depends on thickness) until salmon is done.
- Assemble salad by layering ingredients onto plates in the following order: spring mix, cherry tomatoes, nuts, avocado, cheese, and salmon. Drizzle dressing over the top.
(Nutrition facts do not include Avocado ranch dressing)