I love sunshine! The past few days have been so gorgeous! Not a cloud in the sky. Spring is awesome all on it’s own but I think what makes it even better is having experienced 5 months of really cold and cloudy weather right before. I’m so excited to start going on walks again and letting Carly play at the park. Oh spring is going to be wonderful… especially with these White Chocolate Easter Egg Cupcakes!
Well, Easter is coming up in just a month so I thought I’d make something festive and delicious. I think these cupcakes fit that criteria, don’t you?
Oh my, the cake of these cupcakes is amazingly fluffy, moist, and vanillay. Yes, you have to beat the egg whites separately but it’s so worth it!
Then the cupcakes are topped with the most amazing frosting. It’s got cream cheese, white chocolate, and butter. Can you get a better combination?!? Then its topped with chocolate shavings to resemble a birds nest and topped with my absolute favorite Easter candy– Cadbury Mini Eggs. I’ve already gone through two bags of them this season (yikes!). They are just so addicting! Even Carly likes them. It was so hard to keep her from stealing them while taking pictures of these.
So with this recipe you can make 24 mini cupcakes or 12 regular size cupcakes, OR you can make a combo with 6 regular and 12 mini. I love the look of the regular size cupcakes with three eggs on top but I also am a little obsessed with how the little ones fit perfectly into an egg carton. Isn’t it just adorable?!?! And it makes them easy to transport.
You guys are going to LOVE these White Chocolate Easter Egg Cupcakes! Enjoy! And if you’re looking for a delicious carrot cake cupcake, these ones are killer! And if you’re looking for THE BEST Carrot Cake that’s a little unique, you MUST give this Warm Caramel Carrot Cake a try.
- 1⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup buttermilk (or whole milk)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- ⅔ cup (4 ounces) white chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 5 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 block of chocolate (I used about 1 ounce of a chunk of chocolate almond bark)
- 24-36 Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners (12 regular, 24 mini, or a combo of 6 regular and 12 mini).
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, melt butter and whisk in the sugar, buttermilk, sour cream, and vanilla. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the batter until combined.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners (I like to use an ice cream scoop for the regular size cupcakes and a cookie scoop for the mini). Bake mini cupcakes for 9-11 minutes and regular cupcakes for 15-18 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. (If you are baking mini and regular cupcakes, bake the mini ones first and then the regular.)
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on low in 20 second increments, stirring after each. Let the chocolate cool down for about 15 minutes so it is not too hot that it melts the butter and cream cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and beat anther minute. Beat in the sugar a little at a time, mixing until until light and fluffy. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time if needed to reach desired consistency. Place in a piping bag with tip and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the chocolate to create long chocolate shavings. Sprinkle over the freshly piped frosting and then top with Cadbury Mini Eggs.
Recipe source: Garnish & Glaze original frosting recipe; cupcake batter slightly adapted from Sally’s Baking Addicting