Happy National Pancake Day! Don’t you love these national food holidays?! I’m not even sure if they are totally legit. Like, do they have to be approved by the senate to be considered a national holiday or did some random person make it all up and everyone just went along with it because we love food too much to object? Well, either way, now you have an excuse to make the Orange Poppy Seed Pancakes. And don’t forget to top them with the creamy dreamy Orange Syrup I shared the other day.
I made these yummies last week while my husband was at work and he discovered the leftover pancakes in the fridge and was just going to try a bite… and ended up eating 3! I believe “amazing” is how he described them because they truly are.
They have just a hint of orange with the orange zest but you can enhance the flavor with orange extract. What really helps make it pop and have that refreshing orange taste is the Orange Syrup (takes 5 minutes to make!). That is seriously a must! You won’t regret it. Promise. And fresh berries make it top notch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (zest of 1 orange)
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon orange extract or vanilla extract
- Heat a pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Mix the flour, sugar, orange zest, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add the buttermilk, eggs, milk, and extract and mix until combined.
- Spray pan or griddle with cooking spray and pour ¼ cup batter on and spread into a round circle. Flip with a spatula when the edges are no longer wet and bubbles begin to appear. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with Orange Syrup and fresh fruit.