Sometimes I’m super awesome and buy that giant 1 pound container of baby spinach and actually eat all of it. I’m a huge fan of baby spinach. I could eat a salad of it every single day, especially if it were made into this Blackberry Blood Orange Salad. I mean- hello, beautiful! Fruit is just so pretty! Seriously, I’m in love with this salad. Kinda weird. I know!
If you’ve never had a blood orange then stop everything, go to the store, and get one… or ten! They are not only a fun and beautiful color, they taste amazing! Blood oranges are a little less acidic and have a hint of berry flavor to them. You just have to give it a try.
This was my daughter’s first time eating one and she thought it was the coolest thing that it was red inside. And for a minute she was a bit worried it had blood in it because of the name. Oh kids!
Not only is this salad full of chopped up oranges but it’s covered in a vinaigrette made up of them. How could a child say no to salad with pink dressing?! With the juice, oil, and a bit of honey, this dressing makes the salad perfect.
Annnnnd, this salad also has my two other favorite salad toppings- nuts and goat cheese. I LOVE crunchy texture so nuts are pretty much a must in almost all my salads. Sometimes I even go the extra mile and glaze them. And if you haven’t had goat cheese in a salad, start today. It’s to die for! So creamy and dreamy. Mmmmm!
Enjoy this for lunch or as a side with dinner.
Blackberry Blood Orange Salad
- Zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup juice from blood oranges (about 2)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 2 (6 ounce) containers blackberries
- 3 blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped and roasted
- Mix all vinaigrette ingredients together in a jar.
- Place spinach in a large salad serving bowl. Top with oranges, goat cheese, and walnuts. Add desired amount of dressing and toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately.