I first shared this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes recipe on Lil Luna where I am a contributor. Everyone could use a little more chocolate in their life. Enjoy it with fresh fruit in these delectable CHOCOLATE DIPPED STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES!
Guys! I just got back from my very first trip out of the country! To celebrate my husband graduating (and me surviving) medical school, as well as our 7th anniversary, we took a 6 day trip to Mexico. This was extra special because besides our honeymoon, this is the first trip we’ve been on with just the two of us. I’m so grateful for my mom who was eagerly willing to come from out of state to watch our little ones. They completely adore their grandma that they didn’t even really care that we left!
Whether your mom comes to watch your kids or is just there to listen to you, show her how much you appreciate her with an amazing dessert like these Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes!… because what mother doesn’t just want some chocolate at the end of a tiring day?!?
Being a mom is such a rewarding role but it’s also exhausting and comes with very few breaks and rarely any days off. I definitely needed a relaxing vacation, a break from cleaning, cooking, being a mom, blogging… and a time for my husband and I to just focus on our relationship. We of course love being together as a family with our kids but it’s good and important to have one-on-one time too. Oh and it’s good to have an occasional break so you don’t lose all sanity. And it’s good to indulge in a delicious dessert every once in awhile.
So I think the best way to enjoy a strawberry is to coat it in chocolate. Am I right?!? For these Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes you make ganache and dip the strawberries in it before adding it to the cupcake. The great thing about dipping in ganache than just melted chocolate is that when you bit the strawberry the chocolate is soft. The worst part of eating a chocolate covered strawberry is when you bit into it and half the chocolate falls off onto the floor. Total bummer! You don’t have that problem with ganache! Plus it’s got that gorgeous shine!
For the base of these cupcakes I used my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe that I use in my Raspberry Chocolate Cupcakes. It’s moist, chocolaty, and super easy. No mixer required!
On top of those yummy cupcakes is the most delicious strawberry frosting. The key ingredient is freeze dried strawberries. You can find them at Trader Joe’s or Amazon. I’ve used mashed berries in some frostings, like in my Raspberry Chocolate Cupcakes, but due to the amount of liquid, you can’t add much or it will get too thin. The freeze dried strawberries allow you to add lots of flavor without thinning it, as well as naturally creating a deeper color.
You can’t go wrong with making these gorgeous yummy cupcakes. Make them for your awesome momma this Mother’s Day!
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (1.2 ounce) package freeze dried strawberries
- 2½ to 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3 teaspoons heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- 4 ounces (about ⅔ cup) semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 15 strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 15 cupcake liners.
- Mix flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
- Place butter, chocolate, and cocoa together in a bowl and pour boiling water on top. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit two minutes. Mix until smooth and then add in the buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla.
- Whisk the liquid ingredients into the dry until smooth.
- Pour ¼ cup batter into each paper liner. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave cupcakes in tin for 5 minutes before removing onto a cooling rack.
- Place freeze dried berries in the blender and puree until a fine powder. Sift into a bowl to remove large pieces that didn't get blended.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and strawberry powder in an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar a little at a time. Add vanilla and then the milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired thickness.
- Place chocolate in a bowl and pour hot whipping cream on top. Cover and let it sit for two minutes and then stir until smooth. Let the ganache cool for about 5 minutes before dipping strawberries.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, pipe on the frosting. Dip strawberries in the ganache and immediately press into the frosted cupcake.
- Serve within 2 hours or store in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperate for serving.
More chocolate and berry desserts: