Use up your french bread in this scrumptious STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM BREAD PUDDING topped with the most delicious creamy glaze. It’s strawberry season! And apparently strawberry week on my blog. Didn’t plan for that to happen but I just can’t help it. Did you catch Tuesday’s Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes? To die for! Well, strawberries are awesome and make everything taste even better, including bread pudding. I mean, just look at this mouth-watering Strawberries & Cream Bread Pudding!
Ya see that? I love how the warm strawberry juices just bleed into the sweet creamy glaze. This dessert is divine! But, if you’re wanting more of a French toast casserole type of dish to eat for breakfast, you just need to make two adjustments. Increase the eggs and decrease the milk. With these adjustments the dish will be be firmer and more custard like. Both ways are delicious!
To make this yummy dessert you start out with some day old French bread and just cube it. Then you’ll make a mixture of milk, egg, vanilla, cornstarch, and lemon juice and mix it with the bread. To finish it off you’ll gently fold in those beautiful fresh berries. If you don’t want to spend a century slicing strawberries, get yourself a handy dandy strawberry slicer! I love mine! You can also use it for hard boiled eggs, kiwi, mushrooms…
Throw it all in a dish, bake for 40ish minutes and then after it cool for a few minutes, add that heavenly glaze. It’s the same glaze as my best ever Cinnamon Rolls. You’ll be licking your plate clean my friends!
Strawberries and Cream Bread Pudding
- 12 cups day old french bread (about 1 pound loaf), cubed
- 4 cups milk (preferrably whole or 2%)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg*
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2½ to 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Mix milk, cornstarch, granulated sugar, egg, juice, and vanilla together in a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and stir until all are coated.
- Fold in the sliced strawberries and then pour into pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool while you make the glaze.
- Place butter and whipping cream in a bowl and microwave until melted. Whisk in the powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour over the bread pudding about 10-15 minutes after coming out of the oven.