I first shared this Tres Leches Cake recipe on Lil Luna where I am a contributor. For a sweet, cool, and refreshing summer party dessert, whip up this Strawberry Topped Tres Leches Cake. Cake never tasted so good!
Although we are back to apartment living after having a town house, one perk is that we have a pool. Not only is is fun to swim but it helps me wear my kids out so they take a good nap. And you know what’s great with a day at the pool? A smoothie and Strawberry Topped Tres Leches Cake!
This cake just screams SUMMER! It’s served cold and topped with berries so it’s actually pretty refreshing on a hot day. And isn’t it gorgeous!? Whipped cream makes everything look heavenly, don’t you think?
So to make this awesome cake, you bake a sponge cake and then poke a bunch of holes in it. This allows the milk mixture to seep all the way down into the cake. As you probably guessed, that milk mixture is made up of three different kinds of milk– heavy whipping cream, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk (my favorite!). After pouring that on, put the cake in the fridge and let it get nice and soaked up by the sponge cake.
When you’re ready to party, top the cake with whipped cream and berries. Super easy and super delicious! Enjoy!
Strawberry Topped Tres Leches Cake
- ½ cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
- Granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy and then gradually add in the sugar and beat until fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and then one egg at a time, mixing each one completely in before adding the next.
- Add the flour mixture to the eggs about ½ cup at a time, mixing each addition until almost combined (scrape down sides of bowl as needed).
- Pour batter into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20-22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely and then poke all over with a fork.
- Mix all Milk Glaze ingredients together discard ½ cup and then gently pour over the cake in 3 batches, waiting in between for the milk to soak in. You can tilt the pan back and forth it if pools at the edges.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Whip the heavy cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla together until stiff peaks. Spread over the cake. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle strawberries lightly with sugar and mix. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Slice cake and top with strawberries.
More summer cakes to try:
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes by Garnish & Glaze
- Lemon Sheet Cake by Cooking Classy
- Lemon Blueberry Cake by Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
- Raspberry Brownie Cheesecake Trifles by Garnish & Glaze