Hello! I’m Melanie. Thanks for stopping by!
My love of cooking started when my mom let me help in the kitchen by licking the bowl clean. I loved helping my mom in the kitchen (who doesn’t love brownie batter?!)! It was fun to create something delicious together but it also gave me a chance to really talk with my mom and learn from her. I learned so many life lessons in the kitchen… as well as important cooking techniques. I can’t wait to pass both on to my children.
I enjoy making new recipes and adapting old ones so I created Garnish & Glaze as a place to save them all and share them with others. I picked up food photography along the way and taught (and continuing to teach) myself through LOTS of practice. It’s sad but I take more pictures of food than I do of my children. Food is just easier to capture since it doesn’t cry or try to run away when I pull out the camera. On Garnish & Glaze you’ll find everyday recipes that my family and I enjoy from scrumptious breakfasts, to healthy (or not so healthy) dinners, to indulgent desserts. I’d love for you to cook along with me!
10 random facts about me:
- I could eat ice cream and popcorn everyday for the rest of my life…because I already do that almost everyday.
- I am married to an amazing, smart, funny, and supportive husband (Nick) who is currently in his third year of medical school (we have a long road ahead of us!).
- I love to cook, sew, craft, run, and sleep… but now days with two kiddos I only get around to cooking because ya know, gotta eat!
- Carly is our oldest daughter. She is a busy 3 year old who loves to sing, color, help me cook, and run around the house with daddy and fight with paper towel rolls and the vacuum hose attachment.
- Natalie is the newest addition to the fam. She’s one and just started walking. She loves rough housing and playing with her big sister.
- I’m crazy about cilantro and use it in lots of recipes because it adds awesome flavor and freshness. Surprisingly I used to hate it. So grateful I gave it a second chance!
- I eat toast with peanut butter, honey, and bananas almost everyday for breakfast… when I’m not eating pancakes, waffes, crepes…
- I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Aka- I’m a Mormon.
- I love spaghetti sauce! My bowl is 50/50 sauce to noodles.
- I hate pickles… so don’t expect to see them on the blog.