We have been eating a lot of asparagus lately since it’s been so cheap, plus it’s delish! It’s a great easy side dish to chicken and fish and also tastes phenomenal in quiche or pasta like this 30-Minute Pasta Primavera.
This pasta is loaded with tons of vegetables– zucchini, tomatoes, peas, onions & mushrooms. Just the smell of the onion, mushrooms, and garlic cooking will make you start to salivate. I absolutely love the flavor that the sauteed onion and mushrooms gives to the creamy sauce that robes the ribbons of noodles tangled with all the spring veggies. So fresh tasting, especially with the lemon juice and basil that is added at the end of cooking.
This is a great Meatless Monday meal that you can whip up in no time… well, in 30 minutes. Enjoy!
30-Minute Pasta Primavera
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups tomatoes (fresh or canned), diced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1 pound asparagus, end trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Bring 4 quarts water with 2 tablespoons salt to boil in a large pot.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes and cream. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, and then remove pan from heat.
- When water for pasta begins to boil, stir in the noodles. After 6 minutes, add the asparagus to the pot of noodles and cook for 1 minute. Add the zucchini and cook 2 more minutes. Finally, add the frozen peas and cook until pasta is al denta, about 1 minute. Reserve 1 cup starchy pasta water and then drain the pasta and vegetables. Return noodles to the pot along with the cream sauce and lemon juice (add some starchy pasta water to thin sauce if needed). Toss until combined. Salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with basil and Parmesan.