Get in the St. Patrick’s Day spirit with these yummy Green Velvet St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes topped with Cream Cheese Frosting.
St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes
Pin it to your St. Patrick’s Day RECIPES board to SAVE it!
Follow Garnish & Glaze on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Don’t you wish there really was a pot of gold at the end of each rainbow? Well, these rich and fluffy Green Velvet St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes with the best cream cheese frosting and a chocolate gold coin on top come close enough!
Holidays have become so much more fun now that we have kids and our three year old is starting to understand what’s going on. I never really did much for St. Patrick’s Day except for wear green but that’s going to change! We’re going green on everything on the 17th!
I bought Lucky Charms last week and while Carly had never had them, she was super excited about the colorful box. The weekend before, two of her friends had birthday parties and when she found the Lucky Charms in the grocery bag I brought in, she starting singing happy birthday to herself and said it was a present. The next day, I let her try it and of course she loved the
cereal marshmallows. Hmmm, I wonder where she got that from!?
And it’s no surprise, Carly was a big fan of these cupcakes, particularly the frosting. After she licked all the frosting off she asked for more.
Not only is the frosting amazing, but the cake is too! It’s just like classic red velvet cake with the vanilla extract and little bit of cocoa powder but with green food coloring instead of red.
Tools used to make these Green Velvet Cupcakes:
KitchenAid Blender– If you’re not ready to commit to a high power blender, this one is great! This one served me well in making smoothies and pureeing soups and sauces for 8 years.
Measuring Cups– I love these measuring cups! It has every single size measuring cup and spoon. I can’t stand sets that don’t come with 2/3 and 3/4 cups!
St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green liquid food coloring
For the Frosting:
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate gold coins
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 24 muffin tins with paper liners. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, corn starch, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate each. Mix in the sour cream, vanilla, and food coloring. Mix in the flour until just combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs or clean. Cool completely before adding frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Mix in the sugar and then the cream and vanilla. Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a star tip (1M) and pipe onto cupcakes. Add sprinkles and top with a chocolate coin.