Sheet Pan Italian Baked Tilapia is such an easy and healthy meal! Bake everything at the same time on one pan for easy cooking and clean up. This is the perfect meal for those busy weeknights!
From four to five o’clock things can be pretty crazy and it’s hard to get dinner prepared so easy meals like this Sheet Pan Italian Baked Tilapia are a life saver! If you’re on the hunt for more healthy, quick,and easy meals for those busy weeknights, try out Sheet Pan Paprika Chicken, 20 Minute Simple Salmon & Asparagus, and Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp.
Sheet Pan Italian Baked Tilapia
The other day when I made this Baked Tilapia my 4 year old said “Is this the chicken I like?” I replied, “Yes. This is the chicken you like but this time it’s called tilapia.” She takes a bite and with a big smile says, “Ooooh! This is the chicken I like!” So yeah, it’s kid approved!
How to Bake Tilapia:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place vegetables on pan, drizzle with olive oil, and toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning together.
- Lay tilapia fillets on the baking sheet bottom side up. Spoon half of the butter mixture over the fillets, season with salt and pepper, and then flip them over. Spread remaining butter sauce over the top and season again with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fish) until the fish flakes (internal temperature of 145 degrees F) and tomatoes begin to burst.
- Sprinkle the fish with fresh parsley and fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Can I use different vegetables?
Yes! Just make sure they aren’t too tough of vegetables or cut too big. You want everything to be done cooking at the same time. Vegetables that would work well are yellow squash, green beans, asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower (cut into small florets), carrots (is sliced thin), bell peppers, onions…
What else can I serve with baked tilapia?
Since you already have a protein and vegetables, I suggest serving a starch. Tilapia pairs really well with rice and orzo. This Orzo Rice is my go-to side dish that my kids love. You could also serve it with a side of potatoes, rolls, or some kind of bread.
What temp does tilapia need to be?
The FDA recommends cooking fish to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
How do you know if tilapia is done?
The most accurate way is to use a thermometer to check that it has reached 145 degrees F. If you don’t have one (you should really get one- I love this quick read one!) you can tell by how it looks. It will be opaque and flake easily. Be sure to check for doneness in the thick part of the fillet.
How long to Bake Tilapia:
The cooking time depends on the thickness of the fillet and the temperature you cook it at. If you are working with a 4-5 ounce fillet here are some cooking time and temperature recommendations. Be sure to check for doneness.
- 425 °F: 13-15 minutes
- 400 °F: 15-16 minutes
- 375 °F: 17-18 minutes
- 350 °F: 20-22 minutes
LOOKING FOR MORE TILAPIA RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Sheet Pan Baked Tilapia and Roasted Vegetables is another quick and easy sheet pan meal.
- Tilapia with Mango Salsa is so yummy with that sweet mango salsa!
- Spicy Fish Tacos are a great low calorie meal.
- Tilapia Cakes are loaded with fresh herbs and have a little burst of heat.
- Spicy Lemon Garlic Baked Tilapia takes just 5 minutes prep!
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS SHEET PAN BAKED TILAPIA:
- Half-Sheet Pan– I LOVE these pans. I’ve had the same 4 pans since I got married (8 years ago) and they are in great condition. I use them all the time for cakes, cookies, roasting vegetables, baking chicken…
- Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer– I wish I had gotten this sooner! This quick read thermometer helps you cook your meats to the adequate temperature. No more raw chicken or over cooked steak!
- Cutting Board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
Sheet Pan Italian Baked Tilapia
- 4 5-ounce tilapia fillets
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 lemon , sliced into wedges
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lay zucchini on one end of the pan, tomatoes in the middle and tilapia (face down) at another end.
- Drizzle oil over just the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic, and seasoning together. Pour about 2 tablespoons over the back of the fillets. Sprinkle everything on the baking sheet with salt & pepper. Flip over the fish, pour the remaining butter mixture over the fillets, and then season the top of the tilapia with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes until fish flakes and tomatoes burst. Garnish with fresh parsley and squeeze fresh lemon juice on top. Serve with rice or orzo.