Summer Berry Cobb Salad is a bright and refreshing salad that is full of end of the summer fruits and vegetables. It’s loaded with protein, making it filling and perfect for serving as a meal. (I first shared this recipe on The Recipe Critic as a contributor.)
It’s harvest time which means it’s salad eating season and you need to put this Summer Berry Cobb Salad on the menu. It’s loaded with all the good stuff- grilled chicken, bacon, hard boiled eggs, avocado, goat cheese, berries, cucumber, grilled corn and tossed in a simple balsamic lime vinegar dressing. If you’re looking for more yummy and filling salads check out my Berry Chicken Spinach Salad, BBQ Chicken Salad, and Chicken Pasta Salad with Spinach & Tomatoes.
Summer Berry Cobb Salad
Summer is the best time to enjoy salads because you can get fruits and veggies that are at their peak quality. Since it’s hot out it’s also nice to eat something that won’t heat you up. I also love that this meal requires minimal cooking and can be prepped in advance. I love to prep all the part of the salad and then throw it together for lunch each day during the week.
How do you make Summer Cobb Salad?
- Heat up the grill to medium high heat. Drizzle the cob of corn and the chicken breasts with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill. Cook the chicken on both sides until cooked through (about 6 minutes per side) and rotate the corn every 3 minutes until charred all over. Once cooled, slice chicken and cut corn off the cob.
- Cook up the bacon in a fry pan over medium heat until crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Chop up when cooled.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the oil, vinegar, lime juice, Dijon, honey, zest, basil, salt and pepper.
- Place the green in a large bowl, top with the corn, chicken, bacon, hard boiled eggs, avocado, berries, and cheese. Drizzle on vinaigrette and toss. Serve immediately.
What lettuce is used in Cobb Salad?
A combination of greens (ice berg, romaine, watercress, endives) is usually used in a Cobb salad. In this salad I chose to use spring mix but you could also use spinach or just romaine lettuce. Use what you have, what you love, or what’s easiest!
What substitutions can I make?
Use canned or frozen corn. You can get it in fire roasted style or regular if you don’t care for the taste. I love the frozen fire roasted corn from Trader Joe’s.
Have leftover rotisserie chicken? Use it up in this salad instead of grilling your own.
Don’t care for goat cheese? Feta is a great substitution.
What other fruits and vegetables would be good in this salad?
Fruits– blueberries, strawberries, cherries, peaches, nectarines…
Vegetables– sweet peas, broccoli, bell peppers, broccoli…
LOOKING FOR MORE SALAD RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Autumn Poppy Seed Spinach Salad– This is my favorite side salad to serve during the fall and winter probably because it’s topped with my favorite 5 Minute Poppy Seed Dressing.
- Peach & Apple Quinoa Salad with Cinnamon Honey Vinaigrette is a summer meets fall salad. It’s the perfect way to transition to autumn!
- Blackberry Blood Orange Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette– This salad is absolutely gorgeous and tastes so bright and fresh.
- Kale and Quinoa Salad with Peaches is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy those juicy summer peaches!
- Steak Salad for those red meat loving folks.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS SUMMER COBB SALAD:
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker– This is what I use to make hard boiled eggs. 5 minutes at high pressure, 4 minutes natural release, quick release, and then place in ice water. Peel when still sightly warm.
- Half-Sheet Pan– I actually bake my bacon. Just lay them in a single layer on the pan and bake at 425 for 12-14 minutes until desires doneness. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Summer Berry Cobb Salad
For the Salad:
- 6 cups Greens, Spring Mix or Romaine
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs, cut into quarters
- 2 cobs corn, grilled and cut off (or use frozen or canned fire roasted corn)
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup cucumbers, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups berries
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Place the greens in a large bowl or platter. Arrange the chicken, bacon, eggs, corn, avocado, cucumber, berries, and cheese on top of the lettuce. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the dressing, place all vinaigrette ingredients together in a jar and shake. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the salad and serve immediately.