Hello! I’m Melanie. Thanks for stopping by!
My love of cooking started when my mom let me help in the kitchen by licking the bowl clean. I loved helping my mom in the kitchen (who doesn’t love brownie batter?!)! It was fun to create something delicious together but it also gave me a chance to really talk with my mom and learn from her. I learned so many life lessons in the kitchen… as well as important cooking techniques. I can’t wait to pass both on to my children.
I enjoy making new recipes and adapting old ones so I created Garnish & Glaze as a place to save them all and share them with others. I picked up food photography along the way and taught (and continuing to teach) myself through LOTS of practice. It’s sad but I take more pictures of food than I do of my children. Food is just easier to capture since it doesn’t cry or try to run away when I pull out the camera. On Garnish & Glaze you’ll find everyday recipes that my family and I enjoy from scrumptious breakfasts, to healthy (or not so healthy) dinners, to indulgent desserts. I’d love for you to cook along with me!
10 random facts about me:
- I could eat ice cream and popcorn everyday for the rest of my life…because I already do that almost everyday.
- I am married to an amazing, smart, funny, and supportive husband (Nick) who is currently in his first year of medical residency.
- I love running (but only outside) and weight lifting.
- Carly is our oldest daughter. She is a busy 4 year old who loves to sing, color, help me cook, and run around the house with daddy and fight with paper towel rolls and the vacuum hose attachment.
- Natalie is the newest addition to the fam and is already two! She has become quite the handful. She loves to sing and gets frustrated when we giver her too much love. We all think she’s too cute!
- I’m crazy about cilantro and use it in lots of recipes because it adds awesome flavor and freshness. Surprisingly I used to hate it. So grateful I gave it a second chance!
- I eat toast with peanut butter, honey, and bananas almost everyday for breakfast… when I’m not eating pancakes, waffes, crepes…
- I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Aka- I’m a Mormon.
- In college I majored in dietetics but you’d never guess based on the high quantity of desserts on my blog. I do eat everything in moderation… usually.
- I hate pickles… so don’t expect to see them on the blog.