Hello! I’m Melanie. Thanks for stopping by!
My love of cooking started when my mom let me help in the kitchen by licking the bowl clean. I loved assisting my mom in the kitchen (who doesn’t love eating brownie batter?!)! It was fun to create something delicious together, but it also gave me a chance to really talk with my mom and learn from her. I learned so many life lessons in the kitchen…as well as important cooking techniques. I now get to pass both on to my children.
I enjoy making new recipes and adapting old ones so I created Garnish & Glaze as a place to save them all and share them with others.
I picked up food photography along the way and taught (and continue to teach) myself through LOTS of practice. It’s sad, but I take more pictures of food than I do of my children. Food is just easier to capture since it doesn’t cry or try to run away when I pull out the camera.
On Garnish & Glaze, you’ll find everyday recipes that my family and I enjoy from scrumptious breakfasts, to healthy (or not so healthy) dinners, to indulgent desserts. I’d love for you to cook along with me!
8 fun facts about me:
- I could eat ice cream and popcorn everyday for the rest of my life…because I already do that almost everyday.
- I am married to an amazing, smart, funny, and supportive husband, Nick, who is currently in his 4th year of medical residency.
- I love running (but only outside) and weight lifting.
- My husband and I have 3 amazing little girls.
- I’ve lived in 5 states- Missouri, Utah, Nebraska, New York, and currently Virginia.
- I’m crazy about cilantro and use it in a lot of recipes because it adds awesome flavor and freshness. Surprisingly I used to hate it. So grateful I gave it a second chance!
- I eat toast with peanut butter, honey, and bananas almost everyday for breakfast… when I’m not eating pancakes, waffles, German Pancakes, crepes…
- In college, I majored in dietetics, but you’d never guess based on the high quantity of desserts on my blog. I do eat everything in moderation and that’s actually what any dietitian will say is healthy.