Muddy Buddies (Puppy Chow) is a quick and easy treat to throw together for when you need to satisfy that chocolate peanut butter craving. This dessert is great for parties and loved by both kids and adults.
Muddy Buddies are a classic yummy treat that everyone loves to munch on. This crunchy peanut butter chocolate dessert is addicting and will have you coming back for seconds. For more easy treats, try Coconut Almond Gooey Chex Mix, Funfetti Dunkaroo Dip, and The BEST Rice Krispie Treats.
Puppy Chow, or whatever you want to call it, is a childhood favorite! While you can buy it already made, homemade is still way better. All it takes is six simple ingredients and 10 minutes to make!
Ingredients for Puppy Chow:
- Chex Cereal– I think the Rice Chex variety has the best texture for this recipe but feel free to use corn or wheat varieties or a mix.
- Chocolate Chips– Semi-sweet are my go-to and they work really well in this recipe because the powdered sugar already adds a lot of sweetness. I think milk chocolate chips would be too sweet for me, but you do you!
- Peanut Butter– I’ve only ever used processed peanut butter (Skippy or JIF) but feel free to use natural peanut butter if that’s what you have on hand.
- Butter– This helps give the chocolate coating a soft and smooth texture as well as add to the flavor. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter.
- Vanilla– Use pure extract for best flavor!
- Powdered Sugar– This adds sweetness as well as prevents Chex from clumping all together.
How to make Muddy Buddies:
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Place Chex in a large bowl (preferably with a lid) and set aside.
In a medium bowl, place chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave at 50% power for 1 minute, stir, and cook another 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and stir in the vanilla.
- Coat & Mix
Pour chocolate over the Chex and gently stir until evenly coated.
Add the powdered sugar, cover bowl with lid, hold lid firmly, and shake bowl until Chex are evenly coated.
Feel free to swap out semi-sweet chocolate chips for any other kind for a new fun variety. If allergic to peanut butter, try almond or cashew butter. Any type of Chex can be used as well. Adapt this treat to make it how you like or to use what you have on hand.
These are incredibly addicting so they won’t last long but they’ll be great for up to 5 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Instead of a bowl with a lid, place the chocolate covered Chex in a 2 gallon ziplock bag, a large paper back, or a large Tupperware.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE PUPPY CHOW:
- Rubber Spatulas– Get every last ounce of batter out of the bowl and into the pan with these sturdy rubber spatulas. These are also great to use when cooking since they are heat resistant.
- Mixing Bowls with Lids– This set of metal mixing bowls with lids comes with 7 sizes fo bowls, the largest of which is 7 quarts.
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cups– I love these measuring cups! They’re sturdy, pretty and it has every size measuring cup and spoon! I can’t stand sets that don’t come with 2/3 and 3/4 cups.
LOOKING FOR MORE CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER TREATS? CHECK OUT THESE:
- No Bake Cookies
- Peanut Butter Scotcheroos
- Butter Toffee Pretzels
- Soft & Chewy Monster Cookies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Place Chex in a large bowl (preferably with a lid) and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, place chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave at 50% power for 1 minute, stir, and cook another 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour chocolate over the Chex and gently stir until evenly coated.
- Add the powdered sugar, cover bowl with lid*, hold lid firmly and shake bowl until Chex are evenly coated.
Leave a Reply