5 Cheese Mac & Cheese topped with extra cheese, crispy Panko bread crumbs, and bacon is the ultimate comfort food!Winter is all about comfort food that makes you feel all warm and snuggly. This 5 Cheese Mac & Cheese does just the job! Oh my, you will never taste a mac & cheese as amazing as this!
This sauce is made with 5 white cheeses– Fontina, white cheddar, Asiago, Parmesan, and Swiss. No lack of flavor and creaminess here!
You could stop there and enjoy the pasta covered in cheesy sauce but who wouldn’t want to top it with extra cheese, crispy Panko, and salty bacon?! Drooling.
Enjoy this ultra comforting pasta! There’s no better way to end your day… okay, maybe if you add some sort of chocolate dessert like a molten chocolate lava cake. Now we’re really talkin! Mmmm!
5 Cheese Mac & Cheese
- 1/4 pound bacon, 8 slices
- 1 pound pasta, cavatappi, elbow, shells
- 4 cups whole milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard, or 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups fontina, grated
- 1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar, grated
- 3/4 cup asiago, grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 3/4 cup swiss, grated
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan with butter.
- Cook pasta according to package.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup fontina, 1/2 cup white cheddar, 1/4 cup asiago, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1/4 cup Swiss, and Panko. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large pot until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and crumble into pieces when cooled.
- Add butter to the bacon grease in the pan and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to make a roux. Add the salt and mustard. While stirring, slowly stream in the milk, whisking constantly while cooking until it thickens (5-7 minutes).
- Stir in the remaining cheese (1 1/4 cup fontina, 1 cup white cheddar, 1/2 cup asiago, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup swiss) until melted.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and then pour into the pan. Top with the Panko/cheese mixture and bacon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Let it rest 5-10 mintues before serving. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Recipe Source: Adapted from Food Network