Seared APPLE AND SPINACH PORK CHOPS with wilted spinach, sweet apples, and crispy bacon is made in just 30 minutes in one pan.
Today I bring you Apple & Spinach Pork Chops… with BACON! Oh yeah! What a great way to welcome the fall huh?
Fall doesn’t officially start until September 23rd but I’m just so excited for it! It might just be my favorite season and brings so many good memories. I love the leaves- the colors, the smell, the crunch under my shoes. I love my fall wardrobe- wearing layers without having to wear a big bulky coat and wearing boots just for fashion and not out of necessity. AND I absolutely LOVE the food (I could really say this about every season)! To me, fall just screams pumpkin, squash (all varieties… butternut is my fav), apples galore, warm soups, chocolate and caramel… man, I’m getting hungry!
September seems like the month of apples to me. Probably because of the whole teacher/apple thing and school used to start up again in September. Not August! So anyway, apples have been practically spinning around my head so be prepared for lots more recipes with yummy crisp apples.
I love the combination of sweet and salty and think pork does awesome in that combo, especially when salty crispy bacon is involved. Yeah? And if you haven’t ever had pork chops with apples, let me tell ya, it’s awesome. They were a match made in foodie heaven!
This dish is easy peasy. Just 30 minutes and one skillet. I’m really diggin the one-pot meal thang! You? If you want more with this meal though a super easy side would be baked potatoes.
Go embrace the coming of fall with these sweet apple pork chops! Enjoy!
Apple and Spinach Pork Chops
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 4 boneless pork loin chops 5 ounces each
- 2 granny smith apples cored and sliced into thin wedges (~16 per apple)
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach packed
- In a small dish, mix brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together and set aside.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon over medium-high heat. Place on a paper towel lined plate when done and drain bacon grease from the pan into a dish to reserve for later use.
- Season both sides of chops with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon bacon drippings back to pan and cook chops for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. Remove onto a plate and cover with foil.
- Add the onion to the pan with 1 teaspoon bacon drippings and saute 2 minutes. Add the apples and cook another minute. Place butter and brown sugar mixture in the pan and mix until butter melts. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Place the pork chops on top of the apples/onion, reduce heat to low so it is just simmering, cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until pork is done (145 degrees F internal temp).
- Remove pork onto serving platter, stir in the spinach in with the apples, and cover for 1 minute until spinach wilts. Add apples and spinach to platter, sprinkle with pecans and bacon and serve.
Recipe Source: Adapted from TasteofHome
Try these too!