These buttery, moist, and tender Blueberry Scones are the perfect way to eat up those summer blueberries!
Well I’ve totally been MIA. The last few weeks have been so busy/stressful! Almost two weeks ago now we closed on and moved into our very own town home! We love it so much and couldn’t be happier with our unit and little neighborhood community but figuring out all the loan stuff, packing, and unpacking are not things I’m too fond of. And as I mentioned, my husband took the test of his life during this time so I did
most all the packing… although to be honest, I probably would have done it anyway since I have like 10 times the clothes, junk, and the kitchen is my domain (nothing broke!!!). He did pack a few boxes– the computer, TV, and electronics. I have no idea what I’m doing there so I left that to him… as well as all the heavy lifting (prego!). 🙂 That was actually pretty frustrating not being able to lift things I normally would… so hopefully the next time we move I’m not pregnant.
It is so nice to finally be out of an apartment! No more being woken up at 5am to the smell of smoke seeping into our apartment, dragging Carly up 2 flights of stairs with 10 bags of groceries cutting off circulation to my hands, going up and down 2 flights of stairs 10 times on laundry day (it’s actually quite difficult to hold a laundry basket when pregnant), wearing dirty clothes because I forgot to fill the stupid laundry card with money before the office closed (oh and paying $3/load of wash! Ridiculous!), walking up/down stairs and 0.2 miles to the nearest dumpster to throw out the trash… Done, done, DONE with all that!
We absolutely LOVE our neighborhood! Many of our neighbors are in graduate school and have young children so when we go on walks and stop at the playground, there is always someone for Carly (and me!) to make friends with. We (daddy too since he has this month off– I could get really used to this!) go outside everyday if not twice a day so she is just on cloud nine… with a few scraped up knees and very dirty clothes. The next two years are going to be wonderful!
Well let me talk about what you really came to my site for- food! These scones are so good that you’ll have to make a double batch if you’re looking to share them with people outside your family. Seriously! The last time I made them my husband and I both ate two (and a half!) the first day and I offered to pack the leftover 3 for him to share with his buddies at school and he said “no way!” Call him selfish but you’ll understand after you try these perfectly moist and tender scones. I was pretty happy about getting to eat another one too!
What makes these scones so flaky, tender, and moist is the butter and sour cream (don’t they always!?). One trick I recently learned for cutting butter into flour is to first freeze it and then just grate it. It looks like cheese so if you want, you can trick your family and offer them a string. Haha! But seriously, it’s so much easier than cutting the butter into chunks that get stuck in the pastry blender. Grate cheese= clog free pastry blender.
After working the butter and flour into pea size crumbles you then just drizzle in the milk/sour cream a little at a time between stirs. You want to be gentle and work the dough as little as possible to ensure that you will have a tender crumb. Then you gently fold in the blueberries (feel free to use your hands!) and then dump it out on a work surface to shape into a disc.
Anything cut into wedges like this you know is going to be good (pie, pizza, scones…).
These do spread so you need to give them room on the pan. Plus it each scone bakes more evenly throughout.
Yeah, that was a yummy bite. It took some mighty willpower to pause and take this picture. So addicting!!!
What are you waiting for?! Go get yourself some yummy sweet blueberries and pop these scones in the oven! And feel free to throw in a few raspberries if you want to make it patriotic.
For the Scones:
- 1/2 cup milk, 1% or higher
- 1/2 cup sour cream, full fat
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick frozen butter, grated
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, frozen blueberries works too, do NOT thaw
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
- Coarse sugar, optional
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons cream, half-and-half, or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Mix milk and sour cream together in a small bowl and place in the fridge. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the grated frozen butter and mix in with a pastry cutter or two forks until the size of small peas. Drizzle the milk mixture in and fold in until almost combined. Use a spatula to gently fold in the blueberries (take care not to break the blueberries or their color will bleed).
- Sprinkle work surface lightly with flour and dump out dough and form into a 9-10 inch disk. Cut the dough into 8 slices like a pizza. Place wedges of dough on prepared baking sheet spacing them 2 inches apart. Brush the tops of dough with the melted butter and then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until tops are lightly golden. Remove scones from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- While the scones cool, make the glaze by mixing powdered sugar with vanilla and 3 tablespoons cream. Add more cream if needed to get the desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over the scones that you will be eating immediately but wait until the scones are cooled for the rest (it will just look cleaner/prettier).
seriously THE best recipe I have used! Made today…even delivered to hot, single neighbor for extra brownie umm scone points 😛
Carolyn @cookiesandcows says
Wow these look amazing! I love a classic, homemade blueberry scone!
You will for sure love these Carolyn! Hope you get to try them soon. 🙂
Yum! These scones would make an incredible saturday morning breakfast!
True that Paige… such a fun yummy weekend breakfast for the fam.
Ashley | The Recipe Rebel says
These are just gorgeous! Love those big bright blueberries!
Thank you Ashley! Aren’t berries the best?! I never want summer to end! I am loving all the gorgeous sweet berries.
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
Yay to new homes! Love the look of these scones- delish 🙂
Erin @ Her Heartland Soul says
Yay congrats on becoming homeowners! That’s so exciting! And those scone look delicious!
Thank you Erin! It’s been so fun to set things up and start our little projects on the place.