One of my favorite food combos in the fall is apple + caramel… and a few more other toppings too. The classic caramel apple is delicious but sometimes you just need something that is warm and ooey gooey. These blonde brownies are just that with all the yumminess of a caramel apple. It has caramel in the brownie and on top (yeah, double caramel!), chocolate, pecans, and of course apples.
The apples not only add great flavor but make the brownie so soft and moist. Eating it warms with that melted caramel and chocolate is a dream come true!
Would you look at that goo!? Okay, I cave.
I had to really practice self-control while photographing these. The smell of the brownie and cooked apples along with warm caramel and that melty chocolate… just writing this post and staring at them is making my mouth water!
These are so good and addicting just on their own but making it al la mode right after pulling it out of the oven would be amazing too.
Okay, I’m going to have to go make these again. Happy Fall!
Caramel Apple Blondies
- For the Brownies:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups apples, peeled and finely chopped (I used Ginger Gold but Golden Delicious or Granny Smith work too)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans + 1/4 cup whole pecans
- 16 caramels
- 2 tablespoons cream
For the toppings:
- 2-3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 7 caramels
- 1 tablespoon cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray or butter.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In another bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla together with an electric mixer. Add the egg and beat until creamy. Mix the dry ingredients in until just combined and then fold in the apples and the 1/3 cup chopped pecans with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Pour batter into pan.
- Microwave the 16 caramels with 2 tablespoons cream in 30 second increments, stirring in-between until it is melted and smooth. Drizzle over the batter and then sprinkle with the whole pecans. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top after pulling the brownies out of the oven. Let the brownies cool about 20 minutes and then melt the 7 caramels with 1 tablespoon cream and drizzle over the top. Cut and serve.
Recipe source: Adapted from FoodieCrush
APPLIANCES/PRODUCTS USED IN THIS RECIPE (Affiliate Links):