Like many of you I LOVE chocolate. A day without chocolate is not worth living… am I right?! So why not start the day off with these Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins?! I’ve made these muffins twice in the last month and both times they didn’t last more than two days.
Aren’t cherries just gorgeous?! I love these sweet little beauties! My husband finds eating them annoying but I actually find it quite fun… though I did buy a Cherry Pitter which makes cooking with cherries much faster.
These muffins have the perfect texture– soft on the inside with a crisp outside. And the coarse sugar on top is optional but who doesn’t love a little sparkle and extra crunch?
Hurry and make these addicting muffins while you can still get these lovely fresh cherries.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup dark red sweet cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease with cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar together. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the milk.
- Stir the cherries and chocolate chips with the flour mixture. Add the liquid mixture and gently stir until just combined.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups (they will be filled to the top). If desired, sprinkle with some additional cherries, chocolate chips, and coarse sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then turn the temperature down to 375 degrees F and cook for an additional 13-15 minutes until golden. Let muffins sit in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Source: Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
*Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.