I first shared this recipe on Recipe Girl where I am a contributor. Chicken Divan is a chicken and broccoli casserole filled with cheese, a creamy curry sauce, and topped with crispy bread crumbs. Serve it over rice for a complete meal!
Chicken Divan Casserole
Pin it to your EASY DINNER RECIPES board to SAVE it!
Follow Garnish & Glaze on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If I’m going to eat a casserole, it’s gotta be pretty dang good like my mom’s Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole or this Chicken Divan. It’s pretty much just chicken and broccoli casserole but the sauce has a little curry powder in it. It’s so yummy, you’ll be licking your plate clean!
How to make Chicken and Broccoli Casserole:
To make this Chicken Divan you first need some chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken breasts. Season them with some salt and pepper and then cook them in the slow cooker on low for 4 hours, in the pressure cooker (Instant Pot) for 10 minutes on high pressure with a 5 minute natural release, or wrap them in foil on a baking sheet and bake them at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. All of these methods produce moist juicy chicken. Lately I’ve been using the Instant Pot method since it’s so fast. After the chicken cools, cut it into cubes.
The next ingredient is broccoli. You’ll need to steam the broccoli until it is crisp tender. Be sure to not over cook it because you’ll be cooking it again. Just 2 minutes should do the trick.
Once you have those two ingredients ready and in the dish, the rest is a piece of cake. The sauce is made by mixing the cream of chicken soup with chicken broth (use the broth from when you cooked your chicken!) and curry powder. Pour it over the top of the broccoli and then sprinkle on the cheese.
The last step, is adding that crispy topping. Don’t skip this. It’s seriously makes the casserole. Mix your Parmesan, Panko bread crumbs, and melted butter together and then sprinkle over the top. You can use regular bread crumbs but Panko are bigger crumbs that are crispier. I use them for everything!
Can I prepare Chicken Divan ahead of time?
YES! Assemble everything in the dish, cover and place in the fridge. Pull it out and let it sit on the counter while the oven preheats. Bake for just 20-30 minutes until it’s heated through and the topping is golden and crisp.
What should I serve with Chicken and Broccoli Casserole?
I like to serve it over rice because it soaks up the yummy curry sauce and basically becomes chicken broccoli & rice casserole. You could serve it with brown rice, quinoa, or any other cooked grain. Enjoy!
MORE CASSEROLE RECIPES TO TRY:
- Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
- Loaded Potato Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cooked
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place chicken cubs in the bottom of the pie dish and top with steamed broccoli. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and yellow curry together. Pour over broccoli and then sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- In a bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan and melted butter. Sprinkle over the top. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and golden. Serve over rice.
Instant Pot- Chicken with onion salt, black pepper, 1/4 cup water. High pressure 10 min, 5 min natural release.