Lately I’ve been really in to soups and desserts. Which is good because they balance each other right?!
I love soup! It’s easy, yummy, and keeps me warm on those 20 degree days. I especially have enjoyed this soup because the fresh lime juice in it makes it super refreshing. Plus, it’s got avocado. What is not delicious with avocado!? …and chips, cilantro, tomatoes, and sour cream (don’t forget the sour cream– it’s a must!). Ya know, only the good stuff. But what’s in the soup is just as good as what is on top.
Have you ever had orzo? It’s a tiny shaped pasta a little bigger than a grain of rice. I love it in this and this side dish but it’s also perfect for soups. Then there’s the chicken sauteed in garlic loaded it with flavor. Mmmm good!
Chicken Lime Soup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds 2-3 large chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
For the Toppings:
- Sour cream
- Tortilla strips
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and saute chicken with garlic, oregano, pepper, and salt until browned on all sides (4-5 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, orzo, and carrots and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook 3 more minutes or until orzo and carrots are done. Stir in the lime juice and serve topped with avocado, cilantro, sour cream (a definite must), tortilla strips, and tomatoes.
Recipe Source: Shawn Zenger