I’ve got your whole meal covered with this one-pot creamy Chicken and Zucchini Indonesian Coconut Rice.
Oh my gosh guyzzzz!!!! Today I have my ultrasound to find out what the gender of our baby is! Eeek!! I’m so excited! I love that even though this is my second pregnancy I still have the same excitement. Like I even moved my appointment up by two hours when I found out Nick would be finished with classes earlier than I thought.
I honestly have no idea about if the baby is a boy or girl. Either way I’ll be thrilled. I’d love to have another girl because I’ve already had a wonderful experience with Carly plus I have everything girly. I’m a little nervous about having a boy since I grew up in a home of 5 girls and just one boy but the other day I was thinking how fun it will be to dress up a little boy in cute vests and bow ties.
Carly is going to be such a good big sister! Lately she has been playing with her baby doll a lot. She wraps the baby up in a blanket, cuddles it, and even tries to share her milk and snacks with the baby… which does make me worry about ever leaving her in the room alone with her sibling.
But anyway, if you are curious about what the gender of the baby is follow me on Instagram to find out… or you’ll just have to wait until next week when I post.
Oh and that beautiful chicken dish staring you in the face right now is A-mazing! It’s a one pot meal (score!) making dinner and the clean-up a little easier. I love meals like this where every part of the meal is done and ready at the same time. You don’t have to worry about throwing together a side of vegetables or some type of starch because it’s all right here and fits perfectly together.
The rice is cooked in coconut milk which makes it super creamy, almost like risotto but without all the work. And then you have the beautiful tender green zucchini scattered throughout that just makes me excited for spring and summer. Having chicken thighs is also a nice change but using chicken breasts cut in half would work too. Now, this recipe makes 4 very large portions but I was fine just eating one chicken thigh so really this could feed a family of 6.
Chicken and Zucchini Indonesian Coconut Rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, or 4 large chicken breasts cut in half
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound zucchini, diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cut fat off chicken and then sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in pan. Brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken onto a plate and turn heat down to medium.
- Cook the onion until tender and then add the garlic and ginger and cook 30 more seconds. Mix in the rice, coriander, cumin, and salt and pepper. Stir in the coconut milk and water and then lay the chicken on top of the rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20-25 minutes until rice is almost done (stir halfway through).
- Stir in the zucchini (I took the chicken out while I did this and then placed back on top), cover, and cook until rice, zucchini, and chicken are done (about 7-10 minutes). Garnish with fresh lemon juice and cilantro.
Recipe Source: Food and Wine
Recipe looks simple and delicious, thank you for that 😀. I noticed you have ginger in the ingredients list but it’s not mentioned in the cooking steps. When should we put the ginger in?
Sorry about that. You’ll add it when you add the garlic. I fixed the directions.
Question: If I were to use egg noodles in place of the rice, would I need to adjust the liquid? Please respond to my email address.
Thank you so much.
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
What exciting times for you! This indonesian chicken and rice dish looks seriously delicious too – I love all the delicious coconuty flavour especially.
It is! The coconut is so yummy and a nice change. Thanks Thalia! 🙂
I used coconut milk for the first time in a recipe a few weeks ago and was amazed at how delicious it was! I’m definitely going to try this recipe out now because coconut milk is all I want to cook with!
It’s such a fun ingredient! I love how creamy it makes things. You’ll love this recipe Paige!