I have been loving this summer break! Nick is still doing research and studying but we have more time together as a family and almost every night after dinner me, Nick, and Carly go on a walk at the park by our home. It’s been fun to get away from distractions (dirty dishes, blogging, netflix, studying…), give Carly a break from taking everything out of the cabinets and bookshelves, and have good chats with the hubs while enjoying the beautiful summer weather.
Usually our walks are pretty low key and relaxing but the other night things got a little eventful. We heard some loud rustling up in a tree and then saw a bird drop down. We got closer and found a squirrel with a baby bird’s head in its mouth! Nick threw a pine cone at the squirrel and it kind of scared him off but I think we were too late. I had no idea that squirrels were so mean! I thought they just climbed trees and ate acorns.
Anyway,… this salad! Super tasty and filling. It’s got baby romaine, sweet fresh corn, always delicious avocado, fiber rich black beans, crunchy tortilla strips, mmmm
good cheese, spicy and tender chipotle chicken, and then balanced with the perfect sweet cilantro lime dressing.
As an awesome lunch or quick and easy dinner this sweet and spicy salad is packed packed full of vitamins and minerals as well as a TON of protein. Thank you chicken, black beans, and cheese!
Oh and I love that it takes less than 30 minutes to throw together! Perfect for those busy nights. Enjoy!
Chipotle Chicken Salad with Sweet Cilantro Lime Dressing
For the Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 Chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup chipotle sauce, divided
For the salad:
- 6 cups Baby Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup Tortilla strips
- 1 avocado, sliced*
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 ear corn, ~1 cup
- 2 ounces Queso Fresco, crumbled
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Pour into a jar and place in the fridge until ready to pour on salad.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Baste chicken with chipotle sauce on both sides and then place in skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through (baste every two minutes). Slice into thin strips.
- Place chicken and all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl (or make salads in individual bowls). Add half the dressing or more to taste, toss (or serve dressing on the side), and serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Dressing adapted from The Garden Grazer
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
that chicken looks INCREDIBLE and that is a seriously good looking salad too! definitely recreating this in my kitchen!
Thanks Thalia! It’s super delicious!