Apple Crumble is a quick and simple apple dessert made up of sweet crisp tender apples topped with a crisp buttery crumble. Enjoy it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious fall treat!
An apple a day keeps the doctor away so why not enjoy yours in this Apple Crumble?! There are so many ways to enjoy this sweet and crisp fall fruit! You’ve got dessert covered with this crumble but enjoy them in an entrée or side like Chicken Cabbage Potato Tacos with Apple Pico de Gallo, Apple & Bacon Spinach Salad, and Chicken Waldorf Salad.
Craving homemade apple pie but not all work? Make this Apple Crumble! It comes together so easily and everyone loves it! You probably already have all the ingredients on hand too.
Ingredients for Apple Crumble:
- Apples– Golden Delicious apples are the best for this recipe. This type of apple softens but still retains its shape. Feel free to use a different variety like Jonagold or honey crisp.
- Orange Juice– The citric acid in the juice prevents the apples from turn brown. Alternatively, use 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- All-Purpose Flour– This gives structure to the crumble topping.
- Granulated Sugar– Add sweetness as well as helps the topping crisp.
- Brown Sugar– Adds sweetness, flavor, and moisture.
- Cinnamon– Use good quality cinnamon for optimal flavor.
- Nutmeg– Optional. A little goes a long way.
- Butter– I use salted but unsalted works too. Melting the butter allows the flour to absorb it so it can crips up nicely.
- Salt– Salt is needed even in sweet dishes to enhance the other flavors present.
How to make Apple Crumble:
Time needed: 50 minutes.
- Prep Oven
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 2 quart casserole dish, 9 inch pie plate, or 9×9 inch pan with butter.
- Make the Apple Crumble Topping
Combine sugars, flour, spices in a small mixing bowl. Mix in the melted butter until everything is wet and clumps together. Place bowl in the fridge.
- Prep the Apples
Prep apples by washing, peeling, coring, and slicing thin (using a mandoline slicer really speeds up the process). Place sliced apples in the prepared dish and sprinkle the orange juice over the top.
- Assemble & Bake
Sprinkle the chilled crumble over the top of the apples.
Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden. Serve warm with ice cream.
Both of these apple desserts are void of a bottom crust and have a top coating made up of flour sugar and butter. The difference is that the topping in an Apple Crisp contains oats and and Apple Crumble doesn’t.
Granny Smith are the best known baking apple. I like to use Golden Delicious and Ginger Gold in my pies and crisps. For a sweeter firm apple, try Honey Crisp or Pink Lady. Other apples that hold up well when baked are Braeburns, Cortland, Empire, Fuji, Jonagold, and Jonathan.
For the best results, I recommend using a mandoline slicer to cut the apples. This makes the apples all equal thickness which results is even tenderness. It also get the job done a lot faster.
Alternatively, lemon juice can be used instead. It is stronger so only 2 tablespoons are needed. Fresh or bottled work great.
If you don’t want to use both kinds, use all granulated sugar. 1 cup granulated sugar total.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS APPLE CRUMBLE:
- 8×8 inch Porcelain Baking Dish– This dish comes in various colors and is perfect for making desserts, side dishes, or small casseroles.
- Mandoline Slicer– Cut your fruit and vegetables into any shape. This makes it easy to cut them in uniform shape and do so quickly.
- Peeler– This is the absolute best peeler! It stays sharp so that you can get your fruit and veggies peeled quickly.
LOOKING FOR MORE APPLE DESSERTS? CHECK OUT THESE:
Easy Apple Crumble
- 2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin (~5-6 apples)
- ¼ cup orange juice, (or 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 2 quart casserole dish, 9 inch pie plate, or 9×9 inch pan with butter.
- Combine sugars, flour, spices in a small mixing bowl. Mix in the melted butter until everything is wet and clumps together. Place bowl in the fridge.
- Prep apples by washing, peeling, coring, and slicing thin. Place them in the prepared dish and sprinkle the orange juice over the top.
- Sprinkle the chilled crumble over the top of the apples.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden. Serve warm with ice cream.