This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine. Balance out all the holiday goodies with this delicious, better-for-you Gluten-Free Bacon Veggie Quiche for breakfast or dinner.
I love this time of the year! It’s so fun to decorate, get together with friends and family, and eat lots of yummy food, most of which are sweet treats. Of course all that sugar and fat loaded food isn’t the best for us but I’m not willing to give it up completely. I just eat it in moderation and balance it all out with healthy meals like this Gluten-Free Bacon Veggie Quiche.
My family has the tradition of eating homemade cinnamon rolls and quiche for breakfast both on Thanksgiving morning and Christmas morning. While the cinnamon rolls are definitely tasty, it’s the quiche (which also tastes amazing) that helps me feel full and satisfied.
Rather than make a pie crust for this quiche, I used shredded hash browns. You can buy them frozen or just in the refrigerator section of the store by the eggs. All you do is press them in the bottom and sides of the pie dish and bake for 20 minutes before adding everything else. It’s so delicious and perfect for those with celiac disease on a gluten-free diet.
You can really put whatever veggies in this quiche that you want but I decided to just use red and green veggies for more of a Christmas theme but if you have veggies in your fridge that you need to use up, go ahead and use those instead.
For the filling of this quiche I used Horizon Organic’s Whole Milk, Large Eggs, and Shredded Cheddar Cheese. This is what holds the quiche together and adds lots of protein and calcium to the dish. If you don’t want to buy a big container of whole milk, use half-and-half cream instead… just don’t use a lower fat milk.
This Gluten-free Bacon Veggie Quiche has it all! It’s simple (can even be made ahead of time), delicious, and nutritious. Make it this season and even add it to your holiday breakfast menu! You can make parts of it ahead of time (like sauteing the veggies) or make the whole thing ahead of time and then just warm it in the oven before serving.
Gluten-free Bacon Veggie Quiche
Red and Green Quiche
For the Crust:
- 3 cups 15 ounces shredded hash browns (thawed)
For the filling:
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 1 cup Horizon Organic Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 6 Horizon Organic Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Horizon Organic Whole Milk, or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook bacon in a pan over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel, reserve grease. Break into pieces when cool.
- Grease a deep 9 inch pie plate and press shredded hash browns into the bottom and sides. Brush with bacon grease, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and bake for 18 minutes.
- Mean while, discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease and add the onion and bell pepper to the pan with the grease. Cook for 3 minutes over medium-high heat and then add the broccoli and cook another 2 minutes. Add spinach and saute until wilted. Remove from heat and mix in the bacon.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and seasonings together.
- When the crust is done, spread veggies and bacon in the bottom. Sprinkle with the cheese and then pour the egg mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
More Holiday Recipes
These are the best ever caramels! Sweet, soft, buttery… Make them with Horizon Organic’s heavy whipping cream and salted butter.
Cooking a ham for the holidays? Grab some Horizon Organic Heavy Whipping cream and serve these sweet and savory potatoes along with it!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.