So I just got back from grocery shopping… and Easter sale shopping. My friend has tons of cute decorations and she told me her secret- that she just always goes the day after a holiday to get her decorations for really cheap. I didn’t get tons of stuff but I got a few cute things from a few grocery stores and Target , everything 50% off. Glad I didn’t pay full price for them when I saw them this last month. And even though Easter is over I think I’ll still put everything up for at least a few weeks. Oh and I definitely stocked up on those addictive Mini Cadbury Eggs.
I love ham! It tastes great on it’s own with a cherry sauce, in quiche, pasta, soup… For this soup you can use your leftover ham from Easter or you can buy a ham hock or ham shank. I just used my leftover ham bone with quite a bit of meat still around it (1.5 pounds total of bone and meat).
This soup is super easy to make since it’s made in the slow-cooker (one of my favorite appliances). Just toss everything in the pot and at the end of the day dinner is all ready. Tastes delicious with a side of homemade rolls. Enjoy!
Ham & Bean Soup
- 1 ham hock, shank, leftover ham in bone
- 1 20 ounce package 15 Bean Soup Mix (discard flavor packet), rinsed
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 cups water
- Parsley, optional garnish
- Place ham in the bottom of the slow-cooker. Add the beans, carrots, celery, onion,garlic, salt, and water. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours until beans are tender.
- Discard garlic clove. Remove ham, separate meat from bone, and shred or cut into bite size pieces and add back to soup.
- Serve in bowls topped with fresh parsley and a side of fresh bread or rolls.