This post first appeared on Real Housemoms where I am a contributor. Make half your grains whole grain and enjoy your next meal with a side of the fluffiest HONEY WHEAT DINNER ROLLS.
At least 90% of New Years goals are to eat healthier, lose weight, exercise more… or something of the sort. If your goal is to eat less refined grains and sugars without sacrificing great taste and texture, these Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls are for you! I totally understand if you still want a piece of Pistachio Cake after dinner though.
The recommendation by the FDA and registered dietitians is to “make half your grains whole grains.” Why? Those who eat whole grains have a lower risk of developing some chronic diseases. Sounds like a good enough reason to me!
Honestly, it’s hard to create the same soft texture that you get from refined all-purpose flour if you use 100% whole wheat flour, so I only used whole wheat for half of the flour in this recipe. This produced a roll with the same soft and fluffy texture as the original recipe.
Rather than use processed granulated sugar, I used honey to naturally sweeten the roll. I honestly don’t have a problem eating refined sugar, hence that super yummy sugar filled Raspberry Jam I slathered on top of it. The honey does taste great with whole wheat though.
Besides being healthy, this recipe is also great because you don’t have to knead the dough or use any special equipment. You do have to be patient while the dough rises but these are definitely worth the wait.
While I do like round shaped rolls, they are seriously a pain to equally portion and roll one at a time. Making these rolls into a crescent shape is way less time consuming and I love how the shape of the roll makes it easy to break apart.
I have a great love for my white dinner rolls but I think might always start making this version instead. With the same great fluffy texture and the rich wheat flavor, along with the health benefits, why would I not?! I’m sure you’ll love it just as much as I do.
HONEY WHEAT DINNER ROLLS
Whole Wheat Honey Dinner Rolls
- 1 package yeast 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour preferabbly unbleached
- 4 tablespoons butter melted, divided
- In a large bowl, mix yeast, water, and about 1 tablespoon of the honey together. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes to let the yeast activate.
- Whisk in the melted butter (make sure it isn't scalding hot or it will kill the yeast), eggs, remaining honey, and salt.
- Mix in the whole wheat flour until smooth and then use a wooden spoon to mix in the all-purpose flour. Mix until well combined, scrapping the sides of the bowl as needed. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until it doubles.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Punch down the dough and refrigerate to use later or proceed to roll out.
- Divide dough in two. Roll one half of the dough into a large circle 1/4 inch thick. Brush with half the melted butter.
- Use a pizza cutter and slice it into 12 wedges. Roll each wedge up starting at the bottom of the triangle up to the point. Place rolls point side down on baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Cover the rolls with a dish towel or plastic wrap and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and then bake (one pan at a time) for 8 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Brush tops with melted butter. Serve with jam, butter, honey...
TOP YOUR ROLLS WITH THESE: