I first shared this Scotcheroo recipe on Spend With Pennies where I am a contributor. These soft and chewy Scotcheroos are an addictive, six-ingredient, peanut butter no-bake treat that comes together in just ten minutes.
WARNING! These Scotcheroos are dangerous! You’ll go in for just one bite and find you’ve eaten an entire row. This happens to me me almost every time I make them. Their soft, chewy, crispy, peanut butter cereal base topped with silky smooth butterscotch chocolate on top makes them irresistible.
These babies are my go-to last minute dessert. Scotcheroos only require 6 ingredients, all of which are shelf stable so I can always have them in my pantry. They take 10 minutes to make and if you want to speed up setting the chocolate you can pop them in the fridge.
There are other Scotcheroo recipes out there but I’ve never had one quite as good as this. My Scotcheroos always come out soft (easy to bite) and chewy. These peanut butter and chocolate treats are everyone’s favorite! When I was young, my friends always mandated that I bring them to every sleepover (and now my in-laws request them at every family dinner!). They’re a definite girls night staple. My friends seriously love them so much that when they accidentally spilled them on the floor of our cabin at summer camp, they waited until we finished them off to tell me so. They knew my OCD would have sentenced these delicious treats to the trash but they couldn’t let these heavenly squares be ruined by a bit of dirt. That good people!
What are you waiting for?! Go grab these 6 ingredients and make these yummy treats. You won’t regret it!
The BEST Scotcheroos
For the Base:
- 6 cups Special K Cereal*
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 1/3 cups creamy peanut butter
For the Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease a 9x13 pan with butter and set aside.
- In the bottom of a large pot, heat sugar and karo syrup over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Cook just until sugar dissolves or until it starts to barely bubble. Remove from heat, stir in the peanut butter until it it melts and mixture is smooth. Add in the cereal and fold gently until all cereal is evenly coated. Spread into the pan and gently press flat.
- Place the butterscotch and chocolate chips together in a bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 second increments, stirring between each until smooth. Pour over the cereal and spread to the edges. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
More easy cereal desserts bars to devour:
- Lucky Charm Treats by A Pumpkin & A Princess
- No-Bake Smore’s Bars by Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Snicker’s Rice Krispie Treats by Like Mother Like Daughter
A definite favorite in our house . Making these today for Christmas!
These are truely the BEST dessert bars I have ever had!! So soft and delicious. And yes, I’m the in-law that she is taking about…I have her make them for me every time she is in town, for my birthday, for any occasion I can think of! Love you Melanie & LOVE these yummy bars!! 🤤
(Why is there only 5 stars, when this is a 100 star dessert!?!)
Hahaha! Thanks for the awesome review Allison! Wish we lived close so I could make these for you more often. 🙂
I’ve never made these before but they look amazing! I need to try them!