I LOVE dessert, with breakfast at a close second. Why? Because let’s face it, it’s often practically a dessert. I mean, the only difference is that the cake I eat for breakfast is cooked in a skillet and topped with liquid sugar and for dessert it’s made in the oven and topped with a semi-solid. A day that starts with blueberry pancakes (whole wheat, of course) and ends with Raspberry Rose cake is a day worth living! Top the pancakes with this silky, sweet, buttery, refreshing Orange Syrup and you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven.
This Orange Syrup is a spin off of the amazing Buttermilk Syrup. Same smooth texture and sweetness but it also has a refreshing aspect brought by the orange flavor. Both of the syrups are so much better than what you buy at the store, probably because of the butter in it. Plus, they take just 5 minutes to make. So worth it!
Orange Buttermilk Syrup
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Place sugar, butter, milk, orange juice, and corn syrup in a 4 quart sauce pan over medium high heat. Stir occasionally and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute while constantly stirring. Remove from heat and stir in extract and baking soda. It will bubble/fizz. Serve warm over pancakes, waffles...
- Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks... if you don't eat it before then.