Prepare this Overnight Sweet Potato & Sausage Breakfast Casserole at night and wake up to a warm, delicious, and healthy breakfast the whole family will love!
Overnight Sweet Potato & Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Pin it to your BREAKFAST recipe board to SAVE it!
Follow Garnish & Glaze on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Christmas morning can be quite tricky when it comes to breakfast. The kids wake at the crack of dawn and want to immediately start opening and playing with their gifts and by the time you’re done with the gift giving and opening everyone is famished but doesn’t want to wait longer or have to dirty up the kitchen. That’s when a delicious recipe like this Overnight Sweet Potato & Sausage Breakfast Casserole comes in to save Christmas day.
This breakfast casserole is loaded with veggies and eggs making it a filling and healthy way to start the day. And I need something healthy because there’s no way I’m giving up my cinnamon rolls.
You can totally skip the sweet potatoes for this dish but I love the sweetness that they add. Feel free to sneak a few before adding it to the casserole. Sweet potatoes are so yummy!
How gorgeous and color is this breakfast casserole. The first time I made it I couldn’t help but come back for seconds. So delicious, filling, and makes for a super easy holiday morning. Enjoy!
Tools used to make this Overnight Sweet Potato & Sausage Breakfast Casserole:
9×13 inch casserole dish– This is my go-to casserole dish. It’s perfect for casseroles, cakes, brownies, and more. I love that this one has a lid for easy storage in the fridge.
Potato Masher– Guys, I saw Rachel Ray use this and oh my gosh, it is life changing! I’m never using a wooden spoon to break up my ground meat ever again!
Non-stick fry pans– I love these and use them for everything!
Overnight Sweet Potato & Sausage Breakfast Casserole Video Tutorial
Overnight Sweet Potato and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pound sausage
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups spinach, packed
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups French/Italian bread, 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk, (2% or whole)
- 1 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese,, shredded
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and toss to coat. Pout in the water and cover with lid. Cook for 5-7 minutes until fork tender, remove lid and cook until water evaporates and edges start to crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown the sausage over medium-high heat. Remove from pan and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, bell peppers, and onion. Cook for 5-7 minutes until tender. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Mix in the sweet potatoes, sausage, and tomatoes and set aside.
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan and place bread cubes in the bottom.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and then mix in the milk, ground mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir in the cheese. Pour half of the mixture evenly over the bread.
- Layer the sausage and vegetable mixture on top of the bread and then pour remaining egg mixture on top. Cover with plastic wrap and let refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes uncovered. If it is browning too much on top, gently drape with foil and cook 10-15 more minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
More breakfast casseroles to try: