Top these Quick and Easy Honey Wheat Rolls with butter and jam for the perfect side to any dinner.
Carly really liked these rolls. About an hour after I made and photographed them I had them still sitting on the edge of the table and after leaving the room for a minute and coming back in I looked at Carly and she was just munchin on a roll while playing. Our little thief. haha! Then when I was going through the photos of these a few days later Carly saw them up on the screen and started shouting “Roll!” which then turned into begging with her frustrated “pleeeaze!!!” I would have given her one but we had already eaten them all. I love that girl… and we all love these rolls.
Quick and Easy Honey Wheat Rolls
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 9x13 pan or cookie sheet.
- Heat milk and butter together in the microwave for 40-60 seconds until butter is almost melted. Add the honey and stir until butter melts. Let it cool to 105-115 degrees and then mix with yeast in a large mixing bowl. Cover with a towel and let it sit for 5 minutes. Whisk in the egg and salt. Whisk in the wheat flour and then use a wooden spoon to stir in the white flour, adding enough until it starts to form a ball. Cover bowl and let rest 10 minutes.
- Lightly flour hands and work surface. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, roll each piece into a ball, and place on cookie sheet. Cover with a towel and let it rest 10 minutes.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until golden. Brush with melted butter upon coming out of the oven. Serve with butter and jam.
Recipe source: Adapted from I Heart Eating