Happy Valentine’s Day friends! I hope your day is filled with lots of love… and yummy food (especially chocolate). I’m planning to make a nice dinner (filet mignon, risotto, asparagus, salad) and dessert (molten lava cakes). What are your plans?
I like this coffee cake because it has a moist and light texture… and it’s PINK! Perfect for Valentine’s day, baby shower, brunch, …a tea party!
So… I actually made it twice this week. Why? Because I am a perfectionist and after I took the pictures and ate a piece, I realized that I forgot to sprinkle it with powdered sugar (it looks so pretty with a dusting of powdered sugar don’t ya think?). While it is very good, with only two people in the home we just can’t eat ALL that coffee cake so Nick’s friends at school will be getting a little treat today after their final. Nick and his friends are all very supportive of my blog. 🙂
Raspberry Coffee Cake
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup ½ stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x9 inch Pyrex baking dish.
- In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese, butter, and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Slowly mix in flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Spread batter evenly into baking dish.
- Dollop jam on top and then swirl through batter with a knife.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Slice into squares and serve.
Recipe Source: Slightly adapted from Cora Lynn Wilson (more vanilla, raspberry jam instead of seedless preserves)