Scotcheroos are one of my favorite dessert bars. I typically just make it in a 9×13 inch dish but I just had to do something super festive (aka- with pink, red, and white sprinkles and shaped as hearts) for V-day.
If you have never had Scotcheroos, you must know, they are amazing! But how could they not be?! It’s got peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch. The perfect convo for the holiday of LOVE.
Seriously though, everyone I’ve made these for has gone crazy for them (especially my sister-in-law). Back in high school I took these to Girl’s Camp each summer and one time my friends dropped them on the cabin floor and didn’t tell me because they wanted to still eat them and knew I would throw them out (I’m a bit of a germaphob). That good!
I decided I also needed to go all out with putting the scotcherooies on paper straws. I’d buy every single design of paper straw if money grew on trees. Anyway, to add those straws I found it easiest to poke a hole with a wooden skewer and then the straw just after forming the heart (before firming up). I then took the straw out and added it back after dipping it in the chocolate so I wouldn’t get it on the straw. But you can do what ev.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 5 3/4 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a large pot, heat sugar and corn syrup over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat immediately once dissolved (a good indication is at the first sign of little bubbles). Mix in peanut butter until melted and smooth. Mix in the Rice Krispies until all are coated.
- Grease the insides of cookie cutters with a little butter and spread wax paper or parchment paper on your work surface. Place the cookie cutter on wax paper and firmly press some of the mix into it. Gently press the scotcheroo out of the cookie cutter and set it aside on the wax paper. Poke the bottom of the heart with a skewer to make a whole if you decide to poke a straw in after dipping. Continue with the remaining mix (apply more butter to cookie cutter as needed). Let the scotcheroos dry until firm enough to handle (30-60 minutes, or you can pop them in the fridge for 15-30 minutes).
- Place the butterscotch chips and chocolate chips together in a bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until melted and smooth.
- Dip the heart scotcheroos into the melted chocolate to cover the top. Let the excess drip back into the bowl and then apply the sprinkles. Allow chocolate to dry for about an hour (or in the fridge for 10-15 minutes) and then poke straws in.
- Store scotcheroos in an air tight container or individually wrap in cellophane.
The Nutrition Facts below are for 24 dipped hearts of equal size.