Skillet Lasagna is a comforting, quick and easy one-pot meal. Enjoy your favorite classic Italian dish in just 30 minutes!
Lasagna is quite the labor of love but you can enjoy that same great delicious dish in this skillet version! For more quick and easy pasta dishes, try One Pot Tortellini & Sausage and Creamy Lemon Asparagus Pasta.
If you don’t want to spend forever in the kitchen making dinner and then cleaning it up, then you MUST make this one-pot lasagna! Plus, it’s so yummy, the pan will practically be licked clean! You’re sure to fall in love with this cheesy, meat-filled pasta!
Ingredients for Skillet Lasagna:
- Ground Beef– I recommending using lean ground beef but if you use a higher %fa, don’t forget to drain off the grease.
- Oil– Just a little bit is needed to help soften the onions. Alternatively you could just leave some of the grease from the beef in the pan instead.
- Onion– I love using sweet onions because they’re sweet and break down and soften nicely.
- Garlic– Fresh minced is best! If using a marinara that doesn’t have much garlic, use 3-4 cloves.
- Marinara Sauce– Use your favorite marinara sauce. My current favorite is Rao’s. It’s a bit expensive but it’s so dang good and more affordable purchased in bulk at Costco.
- Pasta– To make this more like lasagna you can break apart lasagna noodles but I find that using farfalle (bowtie) noodles works really well, is pretty, and saves time.
- Beef Broth– Use stock or water with bouillon.
- Salt– Since the noodles are cooked in the sauce, salt is needed to give them flavor.
- Mozzarella Cheese– Fresh grated melts best. Feel free to use more cheese if desired.
- Ricotta Cheese– If you’re not a fan of ricotta, you MUST try Polly-O brand ricotta. It will change your life! It is so creamy. I could honestly eat it by the spoonful! An Italian family served it to us at their house and I had to ask what kind of cheese it was because it was so good and nothing like other ricotta cheese I’ve had. They told me it’s the best and only brand they will buy.
- Parmesan Cheese– Parmigiano Reggiano is the best variety of Parmesan. It is made in Italy and aged for at least 12 months. I always keep a wedge of it in my fridge and then use the rind in soups like Minestrone.
- Parsley– Italian parsley is the only kind I buy. It is darker, flat, and has a stronger flavor.
How to make Skillet Lasagna:
Time needed: 30 minutes.
- Brown Beef
Cook beef in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and crumble until meat is browned. Drain off grease. Set aside.
- Cook Onions
Add oil to pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook 30 more seconds.
Add in the marinara sauce, beef broth, noodles, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 16-18 minutes or until noodles are al dente. Remove pan from heat.
- Add the Cheese
Stir in half of the mozzarella cheese and then sprinkle with remaining. Dot the top with ricotta, cover pan with lid, and let it sit for 2-4 minutes until cheese melts.
- Garnish & Serve
Garnish with parmesan and parsley. Serve immediately.
1.) The beef browns better when cooked alone. 2.) The onions help deglaze the pan when cooked after the beef, plus, they need more time to soften so the onions aren’t crunchy when the pasta is done.
No! Just enough beef broth is in the recipe so the noodles can soak up the liquid leaving a delicious thick meat sauce that clings to the noodles.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS ONE POT PASTA:
- Garlic Press– Fresh garlic tastes best and this is the garlic press I’ve been using for the last 8 years. I love it and it’s easy to clean.
- Liquid Measuring Cup– This baby gets used almost everyday. I love having a glass one because it’s doesn’t get stained, scratched, and it can go in the microwave. This is a must for every kitchen.
- Skillet– This is a great skillet for one-pot meals since it is wide, deep, and non-stick. The pan photographed is MasterClass brand sold at T.J. Maxx and Home Goods.
LOOKING FOR MORE PASTA? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Baked Ziti with Sweet Italian Sausage
- Macaroni Grill’s Chicken Pasta Milano
- Four Cheese Garlic White Cream Pasta Sauce
- Easy Beef, Spinach, and Cheese Manicotti
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Meat Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup onion (sweet or yellow), finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 ounces marinara sauce, (3 cups)
- 6 ounces farfalle noodles, (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Italian parsley, chopped
- Cook 1 lb. ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and crumble until meat is browned. Drain off grease. Set aside.
- Add 1 tsp. oil to pan and reduce heat to medium. Add 1 c. diced onions and cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook 30 more seconds.
- Add in 24 oz. (3 c.) marinara sauce, 2 c. beef broth, 2 c. noodles, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and let simmer for 16-18 minutes or until noodles are al dente (stirring every 5 minutes). Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in 1/2 c. of mozzarella cheese and then sprinkle top with the remaining 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese. Dot the top with 3/4 c. ricotta, cover pan with lid, and let it sit for 2-4 minutes until cheese melts.
- Garnish with parmesan and parsley. Serve immediately.