I first shared this recipe for Baked Beans on Centsless Meals where I am a contributor. Slow Cooker Baked Beans are a delicious and easy made-from-scratch side dish that tastes fantastic next to your favorite burger.
Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon
Pin it to your SIDE DISH recipe board to SAVE it!
Follow Garnish & Glaze on Pinterest for more great recipes!
If there is one side that should always be present at a barbecue, it’s baked beans (okay, Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad too). Really, they fit in right along with your baby back ribs, juicy burger, and even hot dogs. That sweet sauce with the savory bacon… it’s just so yummy! But don’t just crack open a can of pre-made beans when you could make these amazingly tasty Slow Cooker Baked Beans that are made from scratch.
Cooking dried beans is super simple and they cook great in the slow cooker. All you have to do is prep the beans by rinsing them and then soaking them overnight. Or if you’re forgetful like me, you can do the quick method where you boil them for an hour.
Then all you have to do is cook the bacon with the onion and green pepper, add in the other ingredients and place it all in the slow cooker to work it’s magic. 8 hours later, your home will smell of sweet beans and bacon. Um, let’s talk a little bit more about how there is a whole pound of bacon in here. That’s how you really know that these are gonna be good.
Oh yeah, and despite being called “baked beans”, these aren’t actually baked, which is awesome because then you don’t heat up the whole house when it’s already so hot outside. And it’s the slow cooker is great for transporting if you’re taking this to a pot luck barbecue. You can even keep it plugged in and on warm instead of letting it get cold on the buffet table.
Serve these at your next barbecue or tailgate party. They are sure to be a hit!
Slow Cooker Baked Beans Recipe
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper, optional
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Rinse the beans and then soak overnight (at least 8 hours) or boil for 1 hour. Drain and then add to the slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon, onion, and bell pepper (optional) over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until bacon fat renders enough to soften the onion.
- Stir in the salt, mustard, black pepper, cayenne pepper, tomato sauce, brown sugar, and molasses and then add it all to the slow cooker with the beans. Mix in the vegetable broth and then cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until beans are tender.
- If you want the sauce thicker, let the beans cook on high uncovered for the last 30 minutes.
For more great barbecue sides, try these: