Easter is the holiday with the best candy (my opinion). Weird since you would think it would be Halloween but it’s because of those Mini Cadbury Eggs (best milk chocolate…addicting) and Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs (more peanut butter to chocolate ration). I’m not a huge candy person and would rather have ice cream or a homemade cookie but those two are my weakness (already down to only half a bag)! Good thing they only sell them once a year… although they now sell the Mini Cadbury Eggs at Christmas (round and in red, green, and white of course). My husband and I really like this pasta and enjoy it a few times a year with flat french bread on the side. Sometimes I just make it with regular fettuccine if the grocery store doesn’t have the spinach but you can usually find it at higher end grocery stores or at Whole Foods (probably even Trader Joe’s). And the smoked salmon is usually up by the butcher in an airtight package. You can use fresh cooked salmon (or even canned) but I love the smoked because it is kinda salty and doesn’t fall apart when mixed in the pasta.
It’s a great green meal if you are still looking for something festive to make for St. Patty’s Day! 🙂
Spinach Fettuccine with Salmon and Asparagus
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (discard tough ends)
- 1 12-16 ounce package spinach fettuccine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan Reggiano, for garnish
- In a large pot, bring water with salt to a boil. Add asparagus and cook 2-3 minutes until tender and then remove with a sieve. Rinse under cold water so they stop cooking.
- Keep water boiling and add fettuccine and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, melt butter over medium heat and cook garlic for 1 minute. Add the asparagus and cook 1 more minute. Stir to get all the asparagus coated in butter and then add cream and lemon zest and cook until heated through (will still be thin).
- When the pasta is done, drain and add it to the skillet along with the salmon, green onion, parsley, and salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.