Oh my! We have so much leftover ham from Easter! I tried to buy the smallest ham there was but an 8.5 pound ham is just still WAY too much for 3 people to eat. We barely made a dent.
So what to do with all the leftovers? Well I froze like half of them to use for soup or quiche and the rest I used to make some quiche and this… yet somehow there are still leftovers!
I got the idea to make this from a famous Italian restaurant in St. Louis called Cunetto’s. If you go to St. Louis you HAVE to go there (and get their Toasted Ravioli and Tortellini alla Bolognese)! Tortellini Bianco is one dish they serve. They use meat-filled tortellini and proscuitto but my recipe uses cheese filled tortellini and spiral sliced ham since that is what I already had on hand… and it was D-licious! Oh and takes less than 30 minutes (very similar to my Spinach Cheese Tortellini recipe)!
If you already froze your ham, get some out and defrost it. Or if you don’t have any ham you can always buy more and even get it at the deli counter and just have them cut it thick. Oh and don’t forget to serve it with some Flat French Bread and a side salad!
- 3 cups cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ham, sliced in 2-inch ribbons
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for garnish
- Begin to boil water in a large pot for the tortellini.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add cream, ham, and salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the tortellini according to directions on package and toss in frozen the peas when 30 seconds remain. Drain pasta and peas and add them to the sauce.
- Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano Cook and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and a side of Flat French Bread.
Recipe Source: Inspired by Cunettos House of Pasta Restaurant
This recipe is amazing. Make as instructed. You won’t regret it.
This looks so delicious! I’ve never made tortellini before, but every time I see a delicious recipe like this I wonder why I haven’t!