Boy there are just some days that you really need some chocolate like these rich and chocolatey Turtle Brownies! Yesterday was definitely one of those days. With graduation this past weekend I had to say goodbye to a few of my closest friends.
We all met at the beginning of our husband’s first year of medical school. We started to hang out together because our husbands were gone from 6am-10pm studying everyday and we needed social interaction. Soon, we found that we had more in common and started getting together multiple times a week to have our kids play together so we could chat, have girls nights, force our husbands to take a break from studying and have game night with us…
We were there for each other during miscarriages, deaths of family members, being pregnant all at the same time, births of our children, moving, motherhood… without any family in town, we became each other’s family and celebrated birthdays, holidays, and our successes together. I learned so much from these amazing strong woman and am so grateful for the joy they brought to my life during these last four years. Going from living 200 feet apart to 2,000 miles apart is going to be quite the adjustment. Thank heaven for FaceTime!
Well, about these brownies! I grew up eating these amazing brownies and I have yet to find a better one. They are incredibly addicting. You’re supposed to let them cool completely before cutting into them… if you have the self-control. But they are amazing warm and with ice cream! Gosh just talking about these makes me drool and want to make them again.
I’m a big fan of anything “turtle”. Gooey caramel, rich chocolate, and crunchy pecans is the perfect combination for almost any dessert. Wouldn’t you agree?!? Bring these to a party and the whole pan will be eaten right up, so make sure you save one (or three!) for yourself before sharing.
If you’re look for more chocolate, a few other friends of mine are sharing delicious chocolate treats too:
Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from Melanie Makes
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
Low Carb Chocolate Coconut Truffles from Jelly Toast
We’ll all be sharing another sinfully delicious chocolate recipe on Thursday as well so stay tuned for that AND get entered in the GIVEAWAY to win some lovely Rodelle Chocolate Pacakage including baking cocoa, chocolate extract and vanilla extract.
For the batter:
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For the Caramel Layer:
- 14 ounces caramel bits
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup pecan pieces
For the Topping:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup whole pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch pan with foil and grease the bottom and sides.
- Place the pecan pieces on a baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth. Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in the flour until combined. Spread half the batter into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place caramel and whipping cream in a bowl and microwave until melted and smooth (about 1 1/2 minutes), stirring every 30 seconds. Mix in the toasted pecan pieces. Pour over the bottom brownie layer.
- Dot the remaining brownie batter over the caramel layer and then spread it out to cover it. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and whole pecans and bake for 22-24 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely before cutting.
Disclosure: I have not been compensated for writing this post. Rodelle package prize will be provided generously by Rodelle. Winners must live in the US and be 18 years and older.