I first shared this on Summer Veggie Udon Noodle Stir Fry where I am a contributor. Enjoy a meatless meal tonight with this Japanese Udon Noodle Vegetable Stir Fry that takes less than 30 minutes to throw together.
I have a handful of recipes I make often but usually I’m trying new recipes, but even the new ones I try don’t stray too far different than what I usually make. My goal this summer is to try more ethnic food and use new ingredients or at least ones I don’t often use like in this Udon Noodle Vegetable Stir Fry.
Have you ever tried Udon Noodles? They are soooo good! I wish I had tried them sooner! They are super thick, soft, and great at absorbing flavors of the sauce. They’re actually made with wheat and is a a great shake up to just using rice noodles in Asian cooking like in Pad Thai.
This meal is meatless, perfect for meatless Monday but if you want to add more protein just stir fry some chicken, pork, or tofu to go in it. Remember, recipes are more like guidelines. You’re the cook! You may alter a recipe because ingredients or tools you do or don’t have or maybe it’s just because you don’t care for a certain ingredient.
You can really fill this Summer Veggie Udon Noodle Stir Fry with whatever vegetable you have on hand. I just really love the colors of these veggies. This could really be called Everything but the Kitchen Sink Stir Fry. Use up all the leftover veggies that are just in your fridge lonely and begging to be eaten.
I grilled my corn just because it’s so pretty and has great taste but you can also use frozen or canned. To grill corn you just husk it and stick it right on a hot grill for 10 minutes total, turning as needed. It’s so yummy and tastes awesome in so many recipes like my Baked Salmon with Corn & Red Pepper Relish recipe.
What are you waiting for? Go gather up your veggies and stir fry them up for an amazing healthy dinner.
Udon Noodle Vegetable Stir Fry
Udon Noodle Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 zucchini sliced and halved
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cups sliced cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups cooked corn 3 ears grilled or 1-15 ounce can roasted corn
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons mirin*
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 14 ounce package precooked Udon noodles**
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the zucchini and onion and cook for 3 minutes and then add the pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 2 more minutes or until slightly wilted. Mix in the corn and then push everything to the edges. Add the garlic and ginger to the middle of the pan and drizzle with 1 more teaspoon oil and cook for another minute while pushing it around.
- Add the soy sauce, broth, mirin, sriracha, and noodles. Toss it all together and cook for 1-2 minutes. Serve topped with green onions.
**If you can't find precooked Udon noodles, just prepare according to package and then add the noodles. You can usually find them in the international aisle.