I first shared this recipe on Centsless Meals where I am a contributor. For a creamy, comforting, and easy meal, make Chicken Pot Pie Soup! It’s just like your favorite classic American pot pie but in the form of a cozy soup. Perfect for the family or bringing to a pot luck!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
PIN TO YOUR SOUP RECIPES BOARD TO SAVE IT!
FOLLOW GARNISH & GLAZE ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE POLICY.
It’s finally starting to feel like fall in Virginia so I’m enjoying all the soup I can like this Chicken Pot Pie Soup. The mornings are pretty chilly but by the time my daughter gets off the bus it’s a perfect 62 degrees. Optimal weather for walks to the park. As the sun starts to fade it gets a bit chilly again and it’s so nice to enjoy a warm bowl of soup that heats you up from the inside out.
Soup is such an easy thing to make and reheats nicely making dinner or lunch the next day a breeze. I also love how versatile soups are you can really add or switch up ingredients to suit what you like or just use up what you have on hand. It’s a great way to load up on veggies. I mean, who doesn’t want to eat their peas and carrots when they’re in a yummy creamy soup? Let me tell you how to make this delicious Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe.
First, what is Chicken Pot Pie?
Chicken Pot Pie is savory meat pie with a flaky crust. The filling of the pie is made up of carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, and chicken. It’s a pretty popular comforting dish to enjoy in the cooler months. All I did to make this soup was stretch out the filling of my one skillet Easy Chicken Pot Pie with some milk and chicken stock and enjoy the flaky crust as a side.
How to this Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup:
First, you’ll cook the diced chicken and then the celery, carrots, onions, and potatoes in a large stock pot until softened. Before adding in the liquid, you’ll add in a few tablespoons flour which will help to thicken the soup.
While regular chicken pot pie does have some liquid in the filling, the soup has more milk and also some cream to stretch the filling out and make it thick and creamy.
You’ll then just simmer the soup until thickened and add back in the chicken along with the frozen peas and cook just until everything is heated through and the soup is thick and creamy. I at the frozen peas at the very end to keep their color nice and vibrant.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Puff Pastry?
I like to enjoy my soup with some sort of carb like crackers, homemade bread, or rolls. For this soup, puff pastry is the perfect side. It has tons of flaky layers like the typical crust of a classic pot pie making it the perfect addition.
You can make them into any shape- squares, triangles, circles, hearts… Just start out by thawing the frozen puff pastry sheet, roll it smooth, and cut it out into whatever shape you desire with cookie cutters or a knife. Brush with an egg wash and bake it at 400 degrees for 12 minutes and it’s ready to serve with the soup. Super easy!
HERE ARE A FEW MORE SOUP RECIPES THAT YOU ARE SURE TO ENJOY:
- Instant Pot Beef & Barley Soup
- Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- The BEST Minestrone Soup
- Hamburger Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpea Soup
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS EASY CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP:
Enamel Cast Iron Dutch Oven– I love this one and it’s affordable. I use it for soup, stew, bread…
Knife Set– I got this when I got married almost 8 years ago. I use them multiple times a day and they’re still going strong!
Cutting board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Video
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, diced
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 russet potato, peeled, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chicken base or bouillon
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup frozen peas
For the Puff Pastry:
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
For the Soup:
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large stock pot. Add the chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 6-7 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter along with carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes. Cook for about 8 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Mix in the flour, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minutes stirring constantly. Stir in the milk, cream, bouillon, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken and peas and cook for 3 more minutes. Serve soup with puff pastry.
For the Puff Pastry:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cut puff pastry out with a cookie or biscuit cutter and place on lined baking sheet. Brush with egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water and then bake for 12 minutes until golden. Serve with soup.