I first shared this recipe on Recipe Girl where I am a contributor. Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup is a hearty soup packed with veggies, super tender beef, and whole grain barley. It’s the perfect simple and healthy meal for a rainy spring day.
Beef and Barley Soup
Pin it to your EASY DINNER RECIPES board to SAVE it!
Follow Garnish & Glaze on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My husband isn’t a fan of soup but this Beef and Barely Soup sure changed his mind. That two pounds of tender beef are what won him over, plus the amazing flavor that the beef and veggies bring. Unlike an simple can of vegetable soup, this one is actually filling since it is loaded with protein, veggies, and whole grains. Even my little girls who aren’t big meat eaters love it which is awesome because it’s a balanced meal that’s easy for me to make and clean up since it only requires one pot- Instant Pot or a stock pot.
How to make Beef and Barley Soup:
Prep your chuck roast by cutting it into 1/2 inch pieces. You don’t want too big of chunks since this is a soup and you’ll want to fit more on each spoonful than one hunk of meat.
Next you’ll use the saute function on your Instant Pot (or a large pot over medium-high heat) to brown the meat. When browning meat it’s important to avoid moving it around. Just add the meat in an even layer (you’ll need to work in batches) and let it cook for 2-3 minutes so it forms a nice crust. Then flip it and cook another 2-3 minutes and remove the meat onto a plate or bowl.
Then you’ll start on the veggies and cook the onions and celery. For almost all my soups I like to dice my onions and celery pretty small so that they are really tender and almost disappear when cooked. After they are nice and soft, you can toss the beef back in the pot along with all the other veggies, broth, spices, and herbs. You’ll save the green beans for the very end so that they don’t turn that ugly lunch lady green bean color. You know what I mean.
If making this in the instant pot you’ll just place the lid on, make sure the knob is set to “seal” and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes with a 15 minutes natural release.
If making the soup on the stove top, bring the soup to a simmer, cover, and cook it on low for 60-90 minutes or until the beef is tender.
The last step is to stir in the frozen green beans. The hot soup will cook them perfectly in 5-10 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with some crusty bread so you can soak up every last drop of yummy broth.
This soup is even great as leftovers the next day or you can even freeze it for those days you’re too busy to cook.
HERE ARE A FEW MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
- The Best Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Meatball Pizza Soup
Tools used to make this Beef and Barley Stew:
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker– As much as I love my slow cooker, you can make things way faster (1/8 the time!) in the pressure cooker. It’s truly amazing! You can make anything in it from soup to rice to fall-off-the-bone tender ribs.
- Knife Set– I got this when I got married almost 8 years ago. I use them multiple times a day and they’re still going strong!
- Enamel Cast Iron Dutch Oven– I love this one and it’s affordable. I use it for soup, stew, bread…
Beef and Barley Soup
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 15 ounce diced tomatoes
- 3 red potatoes, cubed
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups beef broth, (or water and bouillon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- Fresh parsley, (for garnish)
Instant Pot (pressure cooker):
- Season beef with salt & pepper. Place 2 teaspoons oil in the bottom of Instant Pot and set to "Saute". Once hot, work in batches to brown the beef. Place on a plate once browned.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the Instant Pot and saute the onions and celery until softened. Add the garlic and cook 30 more seconds. Add the beef back in along with the carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, barley, broth, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir together, place lid on and set valve to "seal". Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes with a 15 minutes natural release followed by a quick release. Remove lid when safe.
- Stir in the frozen green beans and place the lid back on for 5 minutes (no need to mess with the setting). Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Serve garnished with parsley and a side of hearty bread.
- Season beef with salt & pepper. Place 2 teaspoons oil in the bottom of a pot. Work in batches to brown the beef. Place on a plate once browned.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pot and saute the onions and celery over medium heat until softened. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the beef back in along with the carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, barley, broth, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer 60-90 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Add the green beans and simmer 4 more minutes. Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Serve garnished with parsley and a side of hearty bread.