Have any of you noticed that almost everyone in movies these days has the brightest blue eyes? I’m pretty sure that blue eyes are not too common but in Hollywood they sure seem to be. Sometimes the blue is so bright it looks unnatural, almost creepy. They’ve got to be wearing colored contacts. To tell you the truth, I’ve always wanted blue eyes. I made sure to marry a blue-eyed babe and fortunately my little girl got her daddy’s eyes. Though I must say, their eyes are no where near as aqua blue as the actors. Just goes to show you Hollywood is distorting body image even to the point of eye color. Speaking of eyes and beauty, lay your eyes upon this gorgeous decadent dessert… and then dig in!
What is more romantic than a rich gooey dark chocolate Molten Lava Cake?! Seriously, molten lava cake should really be called “Better than You-Know-What Cake”. And what puts it over the top is the berries and ice cream (or whipped cream) piled on. Bananas are good with it too if you don’t have berries on hand… because you probably always have bananas hanging around.So if you’ve never had a lava cake, let me just explain to you what it is. It’s a very rich, small chocolate cake that is slightly under-cooked so that the middle just oozes out when you cut into it. That’s where the magic’s at! It’s basically like eating warm brownie batter. Mmmmmm! I could eat it all day! Gosh I sure hope heaven is full of all you can eat lava cakes. But for now, I bring you this recipe so you can have a little heaven on Earth. You’re welcome!
These cakes are dangerously good. Nick started counting his calories and surprisingly had the self-control to only eat half of his cake… but I lacked that self-control and ended up eating the rest of his plus mine because you just can’t let something this good go to waste (plus, I’m eating for two now right?). I did share about a fourth of mine with Carly though. She really liked it. She would run up to me saying “mor! mor plssss!” Yeah, she now says “please” and it’s the cutest thing! She pretty much can get whatever she wants with her manners and cute face.
But for reals people! This is the perfect dessert for two. If you have more guests it can easily be doubled, or if you already had a big dinner each cake is actually big enough to split between two. Oh and it doesn’t take long to make at all. Super easy but tastes like a thousand bucks.
APPLIANCES/PRODUCTS I USED IN THIS RECIPE (Affiliate Links):
Molten Lava Cakes for Two
- 1/2 cup 3 ounces chocolate chips (I prefer Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the inside bottom and sides of two 6-ounce ramekins with butter or shortening. Then place about 1 teaspoon sugar in each and shake the sugar around so it sticks to the butter on the bottom and sides of the ramekins. Shake out any remaining sugar. Set them on a baking sheet (this is so it's easy to take in and out of the oven).
- Melt chocolate chips and butter together in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until completely melted.
- Whisk the whole egg, yolk, sugar, vanilla, and salt together very well. Mix in the melted chocolate/butter and then add the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Pour batter evenly into the ramekins and then bake for 13-14 minutes until top is done.
- Let the cake sit for 1-2 minutes. Run a sharp knife along the sides of the cake to ensure it comes out perfectly. Invert the cake onto a plate by placing a plate upside down on top of the cake. With hot pads on, flip the cake so that the plate is on the bottom and cake is upside down on top. Give the bottom of the ramekin a couple of pats and then lift it straight up.
- Dust the cakes with powdered sugar and garnish with whipped cream and berries.
Recipe source: Adapted from Our Best Bites