I first shared this recipe on I Am Baker where I am a Contributor. Chocolate Hazelnut Nutella Twists are a delicious Nutella packed breakfast treat that looks and tastes like it came straight from your local bakery.
Pin it to your EASY DINNER RECIPES board to SAVE it!
Follow Garnish & Glaze on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Could Nutella be any more addicting?! That silky smooth chocolate with a nutty flavor is one treat I just can’t pass up. The best and easiest way to use it in a recipe is to swirl or spread it on whatever you’re working this and that’s exactly what I did with these Nutella Twists. These are perfect for Sunday brunch or even Mother’s Day!
What is Nutella?
Nutella is a sweet chocolate hazelnut spread from Italy that is just so irresistibly good. You can buy it at your local grocery store next to the peanut butter. My favorite way to eat it is on or in some sort of pastry or with breakfast in crepes or on waffles. No one will be dragging their feet to get out of bed when they hear the word Nutella.
How to Make Nutella Twists:
You’ll start by making a simple soft pastry dough. You can knead the dough by hand but if you have an electric mixer and a dough hook, this recipe is a piece of cake! Once kneaded, the dough needs to rise until double in bulk.
Divide the dough in two and roll each out into a large rectangle. Then just spread on the Nutella. I like to pop it in the microwave for about 20 seconds so it thins out a bit and is easier to spread. Then sprinkle on the hazelnuts. I love the extra texture and crunch this brings to the pastry but you can leave it out if you don’t have nuts or just don’t prefer them.
Next you’ll lay the other rectangle of dough on top and press the edge together. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12 long strips. You’ll then twist the strips about seven times and coil them up, tucking the end down into the middle, and place each coiled twist in the well of a muffin tin. For a nice golden top brush the tops with an egg wash before popping in the oven.
These only take 16 minutes at most to bake and then they need to be removed from the tins right away. Dust them with powdered sugar and eat while warm. So incredibly delicious!
There is something so mesmerizing about swirls of Nutella. It’s impossible to look away and all of a sudden you find yourself holding it in your hand, taking a bite… of a second one.
Tools used to make these Nutella Twists:
Kitchen Aid Mixer– I love this mixer! I use it for everything from making cookies, to bread, to cakes. It comes with 3 attachments- whisk, dough hook, and flat paddle.
Pizza Cutter– Pizza cutters aren’t just for pizza, they’re great for cutting dough!
Extra Large Cutting Board– I love having a large cutting board for working with things like pastry dough or cookie dough.
More Nutella Recipes to try:
- Nutella Pumpkin Swirl Muffins
- Banana Hazelnut Cake
- Almond Crusted French Toast
- Molten Lava Mug Cake
- Nutella Blondies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (plus a little extra for rolling)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter cubed
- 2 egg yolks save egg white for egg wash
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Powdered sugar
- Measure milk into a liquid measuring cup and butter. Microwave for 1 minute and mix until butter melts completely and is 110-120 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the milk mixture, yeast, and about 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Cover with a towel and let the yeast activate for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the egg yolks, remaining sugar, and salt. Add 2 1/2 cups flour and mix until combined. Switch to a dough hook, add the remaining 1/2 cup flour and knead for 5 minutes on medium until a soft smooth dough forms.
- Grease a mixing bowl with cooking spray and place the dough inside. Flip it over so that the top of the dough is greased. Cover bowl with a clean towel and let it rise until about double in bulk (50-60 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a muffin tin.
- Divide dough in two. Roll one half out into a 14x10 inch rectangle. Heat Nutella up in the microwave for a about 20 seconds so it's a little thinner and then spread it over the dough within 1/4 inch of the sides. Sprinkle on the hazelnuts.
- Roll out the remaining dough into another 14x10 inch rectangle and place on top of the filling. Press the edges together to seal and then cut into 12 (14-inch) strips. This works best using a pizza cutter and cutting the dough into 4 long strips and then cutting each of those into 3 strips.
- Take each strip and twist it into a coil (about 7 twists). Spiral each twist down into the muffin cup and tucking the end down into the middle.
- Mix the egg white with 1 tablespoon water and then brush over the tops of the twists. Bake for 14-16 minutes until golden brown. Immediately remove from muffin cups and place on cooling rack. Cool for 5 minutes, dust with powdered sugar, and serve warm.