Salsa Chicken Tacos are such an easy dinner to throw together for Cinco de Mayo or Taco Tuesday! Just toss three ingredients into the slow cooker or pressure cooker for some amazing flavor packed, tender, juicy chicken to fill your tacos with.
Thank you to Family Fare for kindly sponsoring this post. All opinions are 100% honest & completely my own.
3-Ingredient Salsa Chicken Tacos
Cinco de Mayo is coming up which gives us all another excuse (besides Taco Tuesday) to enjoy some yummy Mexican food like these Salsa Chicken Tacos! Not only are they packed with flavor, they are so incredibly easy to make. If you’re looking to have a full Cinco de Mayo feast, I highly suggest Black Bean and Corn Salsa as an appetizer and some Cilantro Lime Rice for a side.
For these tacos I used Our Family Products from the wholesale grocery distributor SpartanNash found at my local Family Fare Supermarket. Our Family was established in 1904 making it one of the oldest brands in the country! They carry over 2,000 items found at your local Family Fare Supermarket so I was able to throw together these tacos using tortillas, taco seasoning, salsa, and rice all from their brand. I love using Our Family brand products because they are of national brand quality but at a low everyday price.
How to Make Salsa Chicken:
Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of either a slow cooker or pressure cooker. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the tops of the chicken breasts and then pour the salsa over the top.
(Slow Cooker) Crockpot Salsa Chicken:
Cover with the lid and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or HIGH for 3 hours. I find that cooking on the LOW setting creates a more tender and juicy chicken.
(Pressure Cooker) Instant Pot Salsa Chicken:
Close the pot and set the pressure valve to seal. Cook on high pressure for 14 minutes followed by a 6 minutes natural release.
Why do you need to do a natural release? A quick change in the pressure can make the chicken tough. For best results it’s best to allow for a natural release before opening the valve to release all the pressure.
When the chicken is done, just shred with two forks right in the pot with all the flavorful salsa juices. The chicken will be so tender that it won’t take much effort at all to pull it apart.
So that your tacos aren’t dripping with the juices, you can drain off excess liquid or just use a slotted spoon or tongs to dish up the chicken onto the tortillas.
Assembling the Tacos:
After shedding the chicken, place some down the middle of a tortilla and add your desired toppings.
The possibilities for tacos are endless! Avocado, beans, cilantro, queso fresco, lettuce, onions, sour cream, tomatoes, corn, rice, lime juice, homemade salsa, guacamole… to name a few. What are your favorite taco toppings? Avocado and cilantro are always a must for me!
How to Heat Corn Tortillas:
Have you ever taken a corn tortilla straight from the package, started filling it and it just started falling apart? Corn tortillas have to be warmed up. For best results, place a tortilla on an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat for 10-15 seconds until it starts to char. Flip it and heat for 5-10 seconds. Once done, pile the tortillas on top of each other on top of a tea towel. Fold the towel over the tortillas until ready to eat to keep them warm. You can also just char it over a gas flame if you have a gas stove.
More Cinco de Mayo and Taco Tuesday Recipes:
- For a flavor packed taco with a refreshing tropical salsa, try Chipotle Pork Tacos!
- This Creamy Chicken Taco Pie is a fun unique dish that is full of creamy comfort.
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas are meatless but oh man are they delicious! Gotta love the sweetness the sweet potatoes bring to the dish.
- If you love sweet meat, you have to try these delicious Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas.
- Mexican Layered Dip is a must have appetizer. It’s always devoured when I bring it to gatherings.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE SALSA CHICKEN:
Pressure Cooker– As much as I love my slow cooker, you can make things way faster (1/8 the time!) in the pressure cooker. It’s truly amazing! You can make anything in it from soup to rice to fall-off-the-bone tender ribs.
Slow Cooker– This is very similar to the one I use but it has the addition of a lockable lid which is awesome for when you are transporting food for a party or pot luck, especially soup.
Salsa Chicken Tacos
For the Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts about 3-4
- 1 1.25 ounce Our Family Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 15 ounce jar Our Family Restaurant Style Mild Salsa
For the Shredded Chicken Tacos:
- 12 Our Family yellow corn tortillas
- 1 15 ounce can Our Family black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 avocados slices
- 2 Limes cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup Queso Fresco crumbled
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
For the Chicken:
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the top and then pour the salsa on.
Pressure Cooker Method:
- Top with the lid, set the pressure valve to seal. Cook on high pressure for 14 minutes with an 6 minute natural release followed by a quick release.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Cover with lid. Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
- When chicken is done cooking, use two forks to shred it. Use in tacos, burritos, or over rice.
For the Shredded Chicken Tacos:
- Assemble tacos by filling with the shredded salsa chicken, slices of avocado, and black beans. Sprinkle on Queso Fresco and cilantro and squeeze lime juice over the top. Serve immediately