Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is an easy dump-and-go dish full of flavor, cream, and a little heat. Load on your favorite toppings for an epic bowl of chili on a cold day.
Cold weather calls for cozy meals like this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili! This chili is so darn easy to make and is always a hit. Make it along with The BEST Instant Pot Chili and Buttermilk Cornbread for an amazing chili cook off night.
CrockPot White Chicken Chili
If you love dump-and-go recipes, this one is for you! Throw in all the ingredients and 5 hours later you have a delicious warm and cozy dinner the family will love! Add on your favorite toppings and dinner is served.
Ingredients for White Bean Chicken Chili:
- Chicken– I prefer breasts (bone-in works too) but you can also use thighs.
- Seasonings– Cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Yellow Onion– These are the best variety of onions to use when used in a dish that cooks for a long time.
- Beans– You can use any white bean (navy, great northern, cannellini, baby lima) but I prefer great northern. Feel free to use a mix.
- Corn– I highly recommend fire roasted (Trader Joe’s is amazing!) but regular frozen or from a can works too.
- Green Chilies– I use mild and still find it has plenty of heat. If you don’t like much heat, use only a 4oz can of mild. If you like things hotter go up a level.
- Garlic– Fresh crushed garlic is always recommended but you can use jarred or powder (1/8 teaspoon for each clove).
- Chicken Broth– You can use canned/boxed stock or water mixed with bouillon. I always use Better Than Bouillon and have found it most affordable at Costco.
- Sour Cream– Adds creaminess and cuts some of the heat.
- Heavy Whipping Cream– Adds more creaminess. Can be substituted with half-and-half.
Toppings for Chili:
- Avocado– Sliced or made into guacamole.
- Cheese– Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, cheddar, white cheddar…
- Chips– tortilla chips or Fritos.
- Cilantro– Adds so much flavor and freshness.
- Jalapeno– For those of you who can handle the heat!
- Lime– A little squeeze of lime juice is never a bad idea.
- Sour Cream– The more cream, the better!
How to make White Chicken Chili:
Time needed: 7 hours and 10 minutes.
This White Chicken Chili Recipe is so easy to throw together and tastes amazing! Make it for the family or for sharing at a fall/winter potluck.
- Fill Slow Cooker
Place chicken in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker and sprinkle with seasonings.
Layer on the onions, beans, corn, green chilies, and garlic. Pour in the broth.
Cover with lid and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Make cream mixture
Whisk the sour cream and whipping cream together and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Shred Chicken
When chili is done cooking, remove the chicken and shred. Add the chicken back in along with the cream mixture and stir in.
- Garnish & Serve
Serve topped with desired toppings: avocado, cheese, chips, cilantro, jalapeno, lime, and/or sour cream.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE:
- Slow Cooker– This is very similar to the one I use but it has the addition of a lockable lid which is awesome for when you are transporting food for a party or potluck, especially soup.
- Cutting Board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
- Mesh Strainer– I love these mesh strainers and use it all the time. The middle size one is the perfect size for straining a can of beans and rinsing them off.
LOOKING FOR MORE SOUP/CHILI? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili
- 10-Ingredient Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, (or 1 can corn, drained)
- 1 (7ounce) can green chilies (mild)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups chicken broth, (or bouillon with warm water)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Avocado, sliced
- Cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, chopped
- Jalapeno, sliced
- Lime , cut into wedges
- Sour cream
- Place chicken in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker and sprinkle with seasonings.
- Layer on the onions, beans, corn, green chilies, and garlic. Pour in the broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Whisk the sour cream and whipping cream together and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When chili is done cooking, remove the chicken and shred. Add the chicken back in along with the cream mixture and stir in.
- Serve topped with desired toppings: avocado, cheese, chips, cilantro, jalapeno, lime, and/or sour cream.