I first shared this on The Recipe Critic where I am a contributor. This 30-minute Summer Parmesan Chicken has that classic delicious crispy coating but instead of smothering it in red sauce it’s topped with fresh garden veggies and ribbons of fresh basil.
EASY CHICKEN PARMESAN
PIN IT TO YOUR DINNER RECIPES BOARD TO SAVE IT!
FOLLOW GARNISH & GLAZE ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE POLICY.
I love the classic chicken parm, especially because I’m obsessed with marinara sauce, but this Summer Parmesan Chicken is awesome! It still has that same great crispy coating thanks to the Panko crumbs, Parmesan, and pan frying, but it’s topped with fresh garden veggies giving the meal more color and texture. While it still has a little bit of that comfort feel, the fresh veggies make the dish seem lighter making it perfect for summer.
How do you Make Chicken Parmesan?
The first step is to get everything set up for breading the chicken. You’ll need three shallow bowls- one for the flour, egg, and bread crumbs/Parmesan. Each thinly sliced chicken breast then gets dredged in the flour, the egg, and then coated in the Panko/bread crumbs. I like to always use Panko bread crumbs versus traditional because it lends to a crispier texture.
Once the chicken is coated you’ll cook it for 2 minutes on each side until it is golden brown. You’ll place them on a baking sheet, top them with cheese and pop them in the oven so the cheese can melt.
Before throwing the skillet in the sink you’ll toss in the zucchini, summer squash, and tomatoes with a little garlic and cook them until they are crisp tender. Throw the veggies over the top, sprinkle on some fresh basil and enjoy!
This meal comes together so quickly (just twenty minutes!) making it a perfect weeknight meal for those warm spring and summer days. Serve it with a side salad, garlic bread, or even some butter noodles to make it a complete meal.
This recipe easy, has few ingredients, and comes together so fast. It’s perfect for busy days, lazy days, or even for having a dinner party. Serve it with a side salad and some garlic bread and you’ve got a meal that will leave everyone feeling completely satisfied.
More great chicken recipes from Garnish & Glaze:
- One Skillet Chicken & Broccoli
- Baked Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
- Chicken Divan
- One Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Sauce
- Chicken Lazone
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS ONE SKILLET SUMMER CHICKEN PARMESAN:
- Knife Set– I got this when I got married almost 8 years ago. I use them multiple times a day and they’re still going strong!
- Cast Iron Skillet– A cast iron skillet is a kitchen must have. It heats evenly and gives meats a nice crust.
- Cutting board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
How to Make Summer Parmesan Chicken
Summer Parmesan Chicken
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt & pepper
- 2 8 ounce chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, (about 1)
- 1 cup summer squash, (about 1)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to broil and spray a baking sheet with oil.
- In a shallow bowl combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Place flour in another shallow bowl and the beaten egg in another. Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in flour, egg, and then bread crumbs.
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add breaded chicken (you may need to work in batches if you pan isn't big enough). Cook on each side for about 2 minutes until golden. Move chicken to baking sheet, top with mozzarella cheese and place in the oven for 1 minute until cheese melts.
- In the same skillet used for the chicken, add 1 teaspoon oil. Add the zucchini and squash and cook for a minute. Add the tomatoes and garlic and cook another 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender. Serve over the chicken and sprinkle with fresh basil.