This Chicken Salad Sandwich is loaded with shredded chicken, apples, grapes, celery, dried cranberries, and almonds all mixed in a creamy dressing and served on a buttery croissant. It’s such a delicious and easy main dish to serve to your family or a crowd.
Chicken Salad is so easy to throw together and just so satisfying. Serve it for lunch, dinner, a gathering… it’s always a hit! For more sandwiches, try Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches, Instant Pot Sloppy Joes, and Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce.
There are many variations of Chicken Salad but this is my favorite! I know, it seems weird to put grapes, apples, and dried cranberries with chicken but it is so dang good! It adds sweetness and texture and you’ll be obsessed. The celery and nuts also add a good crisp and crunchy texture.
Ingredients for Chicken Salad Sandwich:
- Chicken– I like to make my easy Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken but feel free to boil, bake, grill or just buy a rotisserie.
- Green Onion– This adds color and a mild onion flavor. For more of a bite, feel free to use red onion instead.
- Celery– Adds freshness and nice crisp crunch.
- Apples– Granny Smith apples work great in this dish adding a little sweetness and great crisp texture.
- Grapes– These seem so weird to eat with chicken but it is so dang good! Red grapes add great color to the salad but green work too.
- Dried Cranberries– Adds color, sweetness, and another texture to the salad.
- Sliced Almonds– For an extra nutty flavor, toast the almonds in a pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Mayonnaise– Use a good quality full-fat mayonnaise for best flavor. For lower fat/calories use Olive Oil Mayonnaise.
- Greek Yogurt– I like to use FAGE brand non-fat Greek yogurt. Using yogurt in the dressing decreases the calories and fat in the salad.
- Dijon Mustard– Only a little is needed for flavor. Yellow mustard works too or omit.
- Dried Dill– This herb adds so much flavor to the salad. I think dried has a stronger flavor so if using fresh, double the amount.
- Seasoned Salt– This is an all-purpose mix of seasonings that includes salt with various herbs and seasonings.
- Bread– Croissants are always a good choose but a good quality sandwich bread or bun can also be used.
How to make Chicken Salad:
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Chop up all the ingredients.
- Make dressing
In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, dill, and seasoned salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add chicken, onion, celery, apples, grapes, cranberries, and almonds. Add the dressing and black pepper and toss until evenly coated and combined.
- Store or Serve
Store in an airtight container in the fridge or serve on bread, croissants, rolls, in pitas…
Yes! Besides how yummy this salad is, that is the best part about chicken salad! Make the salad in the morning or the day before and pull it out and place on bun/bread when ready to serve. This is great for busy nights or for gatherings like a bridal or baby shower.
The most affordable and freshest option is to make your own shredded chicken in slow cooker. It’s seasoned, tender, moist, and doesn’t require much effort. For a short cut, buy precooked chicken like grilled chicken or a rotisserie chicken and dice or shred.
This salad is dang good with all the texture and flavors but everyone has different preferences. Adapt the recipe with what you like or what you already have on hand. Don’t have a green apple, use a fuji; don’t have red grapes, use green; don’t have slice almonds, use pecans!
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICH:
- Knife Set– This is the knife set I have and are very good quality for the price. and I use them multiple times a day and they’re still going strong 10+ years!
- Cutting Board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
- Pyrex Mixing Bowls with Lids– I love these because I can prep recipes without transferring contents to another container and I can stack things on top. Plus, glass is nice for when I need to microwave whatever is in it. 100 years glass set
LOOKING FOR MORE CHICKEN RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Macaroni Grill’s Chicken Pasta Milano
- Cornflake Chicken
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup granny smith apples, diced
- 1 cup grapes, quartered
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, (toasted optional)
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 Croissants, buns, or bread
- green leaf lettuce, (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, dill, and seasoned salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chicken, onion, celery, apples, grapes, cranberries, and almonds. Add the dressing and black pepper and toss until evenly coated and combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or serve with lettuce on bread, croissants, rolls, in pitas…