Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken is the most tender, juicy, flavorful, easy-to-make and easy-to-shred chicken! This takes 3 minutes to prep and can be cooked fresh or frozen.
This is my absolute favorite way to cook shredded chicken! Never have you tasted such incredibly moist and tender shredded chicken. I HATE when chicken is tough and dry. This turns out great every time!
Crock-Pot Shredded Chicken
There are a lot of recipes call for cooked chicken. Sure you could buy a Rotisserie chicken but if all you have is some frozen (or fresh!) chicken and want to save money, let this Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken be your go-to! Use it in salad, pasta, sandwiches, tacos, quesadillas… the possibilities are endless!
How to make Shredded Chicken?
Use your slow cooker to create the perfect shredded chicken that is flavorful, juicy, and tender.
- Prep it
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the water and then sprinkle the chicken with seasonings.
- Cook it
Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until cooked through and easily shreds.
- Shred it
Shred chicken with two forks or in a Kitchen Aid mixer fixed with the paddle attachment. Spoon some of the broth over the chicken if desired or save it for other recipes.
- Use or store
Use immediately or refrigerate/freeze in an airtight container for later use. Makes about 4-5 cups shredded chicken.
The only thing different you need to do is add 1-1.5 more hours to your cooking time since you are now using part of the cooking time to thaw the chicken.
If you are planning to use the chicken in another recipe that has flavor/seasonings, I would only recommend using salt and pepper to season your shredded chicken. If using in something like a quesadilla, add chili powder, cumin, paprika. If using in chicken salad add garlic, onion powder, and ground mustard. If adding to gyros add some Greek seasoning. Experiment! See what you like.
Skinless chicken thighs or breast. Bone in is totally fine and actually adds a lot of flavor and moisture but shredding must be done by fork on a cutting board instead of using a mixer.
The easiest way to shred chicken is using an electric mixer. You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer. I prefer the stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Be careful to not over mix especially if you’re aiming for larger shreds.
Strain the juices and use it as broth in other recipes like soup. You can also ladle a spoonful of the juices onto the shredded chicken to add moisture.
Yes! Cook on high for 2-3 hours or until cooked through. I have found that the chicken is more moist and tender when cooked LOW and slow though.
Place chicken in a plastic freeze bag and remove all the air (this will prevent freezer burn- using a vacuum seal food saver works even better!)
According to FDA recommendations, cooked chicken will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator and up to 6 months in the freezer. This is a great reference chart for how long various foods last in the fridge/freezer.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE SLOW COOKER SHREDDED CHICKEN:
- Slow Cooker– This is very similar to the one I use but it has the addition of a lockable lid which is awesome for when you are transporting food for a party or potluck, especially soup.
- Cutting Board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
- Kitchen Aid Mixer– This is so handy to have in the kitchen. I use it for cookies, cakes, frosting, bread, whipped cream, and even shredding chicken with the paddle attachment.
Ways to use Shredded Chicken:
- Add to soups like Chicken Gnocchi Soup and Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
- Use in Mexican dishes like Baked Taquitos, Honey Lime Enchiladas, quesadillas or tacos.
- Put it on your pizza made with No-Knead No-Rise Dough!
- Use in Chicken Salad, Chicken Waldorf Salad, or stuff in a wrap.
- Make casseroles like Creamy Chicken Taco Pie, Easy Chicken Pot Pie, and Chicken Divan.
- Through in pasta dishes like Chicken Pad Thai, Thai Chicken Peanut Noodles, and Creamy Tomato Chicken Florentine Pasta to get dinner to the table faster.
LOOKING FOR MORE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Chicken a la King Puff Pastry
- Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- Salsa Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast*
- 1/4 cup water, or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the water and then sprinkle the chicken with seasonings.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred on a cutting board with two forks or in a Kitchen Aid mixer fixed with the paddle attachment. Spoon some of the broth over the chicken if desired or save it for other recipes.
- Use or store chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerate/freeze for later use. (Makes about 4-5 cups shredded chicken.)